turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shell identification

Started by SCDieselDawg, June 05, 2013, 01:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

I recently found some ammo I had forgotten about. Went out and shot this shell in my 935 with a Kicks GT .670 and it put up some excellent #s to be a #4. Obviously it is a Winchester Supreme, but is it a Double X or HV?  Is it still produced? All I know is from the markings on the shell and its a 3.5". I don't have the original box. I definetly would like to find more to further evaluate.

Rockhound

That's the Winchester xx magnum. 3-1/2" 2-1/4 ounce shell. I dunno if they still produce them, I'm pretty sure they do. Pretty findable though

SCDieselDawg

Thanks!! I'm gonna try to find some. They put up 115 in the 10 at 38yds. My best pattern with 4s to date.

cuppednlocked

Most places I shop only carry the HV Winchester shells, but I like the #6 variety of this shell.

Here is the data for the #4's:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/XXT12L4.aspx

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: cuppednlocked on June 05, 2013, 04:40:26 PM
Most places I shop only carry the HV Winchester shells, but I like the #6 variety of this shell.

Here is the data for the #4's:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/XXT12L4.aspx

I've noticed more of the HVs lately also. I shoot them in my 835 but this 935 seems to like this Winchester #4 load and Federal Premium #5 Grand Slams.

R AJ

In the Winchester line , the Black shells are generally the HV loads, the Red shell carries the extra shot.

So, the black shell in the 3.5" would have 2 oz. of shot but a higher velocity.
In a 3" shell the black is HV 3-1 3/4-#? and the red shell is 3"-2oz-#?

However , the old gray box is also RED and is 3"- 1 7/8- #?.

The shell you have was a very good load for the 835 in its factory turkey choke tube.

surehuntsalot

that shell has supreme on it,that is a 2oz HV load
the 2-1/4oz shell will have XX Magnum on it
I have 5 boxes of  HV 2oz #4's and 5 boxes of HV 2oz #5's (all red hulls just like your's in the picture)
there are red and black HV shells for some reason
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Punisher

I have two boxes of the Win. XX Mag. 3.5/2.25/4s and the shells look exactly like the shell pictured.

Rockhound

Quote from: surehuntsalot on June 06, 2013, 08:09:47 PM
that shell has supreme on it,that is a 2oz HV load
the 2-1/4oz shell will have XX Magnum on it
I have 5 boxes of  HV 2oz #4's and 5 boxes of HV 2oz #5's (all red hulls just like your's in the picture)
there are red and black HV shells for some reason
All of my xx mags say supreme

SCDieselDawg

To make matters worse on the topic of "Hull" color. I also have a box of Double X magnums that are black. In my limited experience almost all of the Winch. Shells I've shot were black. Except for what ever this one is.

surehuntsalot

I have never seen a black XX magnum
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: surehuntsalot on June 10, 2013, 09:46:34 PM
I have never seen a black XX magnum

Now I gotta admit I was wrong. I was thinking that a box of old Double Xs I have were black hulled. But they are actually Red. I dug them out to check and sure enough they are red. It's a box of the older loads packaged in a camo like box. The different styling of the box must have been what I was thinking of instead of hull color.

I went down to my Great Uncles store last week and asked him if he could identify it. He didnt take long to say Double X. He showed me the Double Xs compared to the HVs and it clearly is a Double X.

SpursNbeards

To further complicate things, the new HV shells also have XX on the new style boxes.