turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tough Question

Started by mountainhunter1, February 06, 2023, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

I am friends with a hunter who loves wingbones and trumpets. He can play them about as good as you will hear most hunters play. But he has a problem and I have no certain answer for it. Early in the morning after getting out of the bed, the first couple of hours after doing so (Pretty typical time frame for a person getting on a bird at daylight), he really struggles to play his calls. But - later in the day - give him a wingbone/trumpet around noon or afternoon, etc. and you will be pressed to try and outplay him on it. It bugs him because early morning is a great time to use a trumpet and such.

Anyone else encountered this issue? My question was if he gets tired around his lips or more so in his throat when running his stuff a lot, and he said he usually only gets fatigued in the back of his throat if he plays them too much during the day. So, I think he is drawing correctly. Could he have weak face muscles, or maybe a diaphragm that needs strengthening with more exercise? Could something like that be exasperated during the early hours? I was curious if anyone else had seen this before and could offer input.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

GregGwaltney

I always find it the most difficult to play a trumpet first thing in the morning, especially if it is cold out. I remedy this by playing it a lot in the truck before going hunting, works for me.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

gmbellew

I have a similar issue. I think it is just the face muscles need to get warmed up and also mouth moisture. i normally play left of center on my mouth. I am able to overcome the morning issues usually by playing right of center. no idea why that works for me.

EZ

Quote from: GregGwaltney on February 06, 2023, 09:56:31 AM
I always find it the most difficult to play a trumpet first thing in the morning, especially if it is cold out. I remedy this by playing it a lot in the truck before going hunting, works for me.

Yep.

turkey stew

Drinking plenty of fluids in the morning and playing some before going out helps.
Ho

outdoors

Nice HOT  COFFEE , a couple of mug's , good to go after that
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ChesterCopperpot

Mouth is dry early in the morning and it's absolutely tripled/quadrupled if you drink coffee. I drink coffee by the gallon, but when I head to the woods I'm always chewing gum and that seems to do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ol bob

TurkinTone

I sleep with a Cpap and I have noticed a difference in control early in the am. Maybe due to a little puffiness from the mask...?

Chris O

Before it's actually hunting season I am usually up early listening for turkeys and I practice my calling then. It helps me get ready for season. I have to power through first thing in the morning by actually putting more lip pressure on the mouthpiece to get a good seal early in the morning .

wchadw

Water and bring a couple cough drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I just drink coffee and go hunting, i know i have something that will play in a satchel of tricks... But i do think my coffee helps in the morning for running air calls ..I do use this candy like lifesaver dry mouth lozenges for dry mouth like 36 count under 5 dollars... if needed ...they are other brands ...

Greg Massey

Quote from: TurkinTone on February 06, 2023, 03:24:50 PM
I sleep with a Cpap and I have noticed a difference in control early in the am. Maybe due to a little puffiness from the mask...?
I agree with you 100 % about the cpap and what it does to your face , i use one also...

mountainhunter1

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds from the responses that he is not alone with the hindered ability to play well first thing in the morning. I just had not seen that happen with anyone to such an extreme is why I asked. I appreciate the feedback and will pass on the suggestions.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

paboxcall

Quote from: wchadw on February 06, 2023, 08:41:06 PM
Water and bring a couple cough drops.

x2, and stay hydrated including before bed.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer