Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killed my smallest turkey

Started by boomer, April 26, 2013, 09:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomer

Started this morning on some public. Located some birds gobbling on the roost ended up getting as close as I could. But they ended up being on the other side over the river never could find any on the public side of the river.
So off to the other piece of public ground a couple miles away. Got to the east parking lot there was somebody parked there. So off to the west parking lot about 2 miles away. As I was pulling in saw a turkey walking across the trail. So I hurried up and got moving down the dike. Got down about 500yrds the went into the timber and got setup. Called a couple times then I saw a hen coming my way. She walked by me about 4 feet way then I saw a redhead bobbing through the trees. Well the hen only went about 5 feet past me but now she is starting to putt. She knows something not right then she takes off running the way she came. I look for the redhead that I saw earlier all I see is a redhead looking around a tree at 30yrds trying to figure what's going on. Well not sure if its a jake or tom but the way my season been going I pulled the trigger.
Well it was a Jake and the smallest one I've seen. Think he still had egg yoke on his head. Weighed about 14lbs. spurs were so small couldn't really even measure them they're more just like black spots. The beard was about 2 inches.

JVA54

Congrats!!  I had years that like that.

davisd9

Congratulations! Sometimes we have to take what is given to us.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

runngun

He will eat and will taste like turkey

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.