turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy paint/touch up

Started by Life of Riley, August 04, 2016, 11:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I've got a tom decoy that I need to update the paint on the head. For red or white paint what do you guys use?

P.S. when I first signed up on this site a guy sent me a message saying not to use decoys out of respect for the turkeys. I baisically agree with this but for hunting some of the large agricultural fields that are so common in the upper midwest it seems like decoys are the way to go. In the woods I won't use them.

KYFrid

I just used acrylic paint that you can get in the craft section of Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejake

How in the world does the use/non-use of decoys have anything to do with respect for the birds?  I would love to hear that logic.

Happy

I am one who tends not to be big on decoys myself. I hunt according to my sense of fair chase and you should do the same for yourself. I often have a harsh viewpoint on what hunting has become. That's an opinion also. Some will agree and some wont. It's funny how having an opinion can get you pegged as a elitist but that's life I guess. If it's is legal then it's your decision. I may not agree with it but that doesn't matter as long as you feel you played the game "fair". Good luck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Swampchickin234

Ethics are a personal choice in my honest humble opinion. What is legal is a flat line that is not be crossed, and is that way for a reason. What is ethical can be different for everyone, how you were brought up, what are your social norms, etc.    if you wanna use decoys use em. If you don't wanna use decoys, don't use em. We've always used oils based enamel on duck decoys.  Don't see why it would not work for turkey decoys.  Little primer, scuff em up, and paint em and be done. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Yep... craft section / craft store. Small quantity available pretty cheap. Artists' brushes too.

I would find a pic of a quality decoy, and try to match it with the paint...

eddie234

Just regular spray paint, sprayed it on a plate them used a water color brush to paint the deke.

1iagobblergetter

Like others have said if it's legal do what you prefer. I also hunt a lot of big open fields and I think they want to see another turkey where the calling is coming from.Some of the guys that think it's wrong should only use their hands or a club that's how we use to hunt. My decoys are ratty and turkeys still come in. I'm not sure if it really matters how painted they are.