OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Raspy Old Hen vs. Red Wasp

Started by catman529, March 29, 2013, 08:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

These seem to be two popular mouth calls. HS Strut raspy old hen, and Woodhaven red wasp. I own a red wasp and its almost too raspy for my taste. I love the raspy old hen. I think it gets my vote. Im not an experienced mouth caller, I much prefer the tube call, but I can do yelps, clucks and purrs plenty good on a mouth call. I just like the sound of the raspy old hen better. What do y'all say?

Gooserbat

Quote from: catman529 on March 29, 2013, 08:39:09 PM
These seem to be two popular mouth calls. HS Strut raspy old hen, and Woodhaven red wasp. I own a red wasp and its almost too raspy for my taste. I love the raspy old hen. I think it gets my vote. Im not an experienced mouth caller, I much prefer the tube call, but I can do yelps, clucks and purrs plenty good on a mouth call. I just like the sound of the raspy old hen better. What do y'all say?

Man I want to say this with all do respect and it no be taken offensive...You've not tried a lot of calls have you?  Now this is not because I'm a call builder, but there are an entire host of really great calls out there which produce about every pitch, tone and variance of rasp you could want.  Some are specialty cuts.  (Mod V, Ghost Cut, my own Bacon...) There are just lots of calls out there, and the two you mentioned are near the different ends of the spectrum.  That being said you just have to find the call you like and run it. 

Nothing trumps confidence when running any call.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tomspur

I normally use Hooks executioner  but won a Gooserbat "bacon" and it  is  great.  There are some very good ones out there that are easy to run. You should give the bacon a call or one of hooks too. Good luck.

catman529

Gooserbat, I have not tried many calls. I was going by what I have heard online, a lot of people like the raspy old hen and the red wasp, those two calls seem to be mentioned more often than others when someone asks what people's favorite mouth calls are. How much do you sell your calls for? Might add one to my pocket sometime.

timberjack86

Catman I haven't tried many others besides the H.S Strut mouth calls. I do like them a lot and they have always worked well for me. Plus there cheap. Good to see you on OG!

Gooserbat

Quote from: catman529 on March 30, 2013, 06:56:03 PM
Gooserbat, I have not tried many calls. I was going by what I have heard online, a lot of people like the raspy old hen and the red wasp, those two calls seem to be mentioned more often than others when someone asks what people's favorite mouth calls are. How much do you sell your calls for? Might add one to my pocket sometime.

Here is a link to the site.

http://gooserbatcalls.com/catalog.php?category=1
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jakebird

I've used hs calls for years and i still carry several in my arsenal. The funny thing about the raspy old hen, is I've actually never considered it a "raspy" call. Its a double reed with no additional cut. What it does do is give a great two note yelp that rolls over very well. It also makes great clucks and purrs. It's just not raspy by comparison to many other calls. If you want a raspier hs call try the split vlll which is probably their most versatile, and the two timer and duece cutter . The Ma Duece is also a good one.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

catman529

Quote from: timberjack86 on March 30, 2013, 09:14:16 PM
Catman I haven't tried many others besides the H.S Strut mouth calls. I do like them a lot and they have always worked well for me. Plus there cheap. Good to see you on OG!
Thanks, good to see you here too.

Quote from: jakebird on April 01, 2013, 03:17:13 PM
I've used hs calls for years and i still carry several in my arsenal. The funny thing about the raspy old hen, is I've actually never considered it a "raspy" call. Its a double reed with no additional cut. What it does do is give a great two note yelp that rolls over very well. It also makes great clucks and purrs. It's just not raspy by comparison to many other calls. If you want a raspier hs call try the split vlll which is probably their most versatile, and the two timer and duece cutter . The Ma Duece is also a good one.
yeah you are right, the raspy old hen is not very raspy at all. I agree with you - love the two tone yelp, it's not all blended into one raspy mess, but then they say real hens can sound a lot of different ways. More often than not, I hear real hens making the two tone yelp that you hear with less raspy calls. I prefer a tube call and when tuned right I can imitate a real hen pretty well and have had plenty of hens call back to me a bunch.  I usually cut a small notch in the latex for the tube call.