turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for info on French Creek Game Calls

Started by Sir-diealot, May 22, 2019, 01:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I was talking with a gentleman that owns French Creek Game Calls and he said he could build me a two sided call with both sides being full sized. I was just wondering if anybody here is familiar with his work and what your opinions where? Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

HookedonHooks

I'm not gonna knock the guy, because I have no opinion of his work nor have I ever heard of him.

But I will say that I don't think a call with two full size surfaces will sound near as good as two separate full size surfaced calls, or even a standard two sider with a reduced backside surface for that matter. A two sider is (typically) to have a soft talker on the backside that the top surface can't adequately do.

My thought with two full sized surfaces would be that you are removing so much of the material responsible for the tonal qualities of the sound chamber. Yes surface and striker have a lot to do with overall tone of a call, but a proper sound chamber is what will make the call alive or dead. (i.e. when glue goes "bad" the sound chamber is no longer the same and therefore is dead.) While it may be possible to tune a call to have another form of striking surface be the base of the sound chamber, and same for the opposite side of the call, that does seem like an awful lot of complexities for one small pot call to still sound good though.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 28, 2019, 10:16:17 PM
I'm not gonna knock the guy, because I have no opinion of his work nor have I ever heard of him.

But I will say that I don't think a call with two full size surfaces will sound near as good as two separate full size surfaced calls, or even a standard two sider with a reduced backside surface for that matter. A two sider is (typically) to have a soft talker on the backside that the top surface can't adequately do.

My thought with two full sized surfaces would be that you are removing so much of the material responsible for the tonal qualities of the sound chamber. Yes surface and striker have a lot to do with overall tone of a call, but a proper sound chamber is what will make the call alive or dead. (i.e. when glue goes "bad" the sound chamber is no longer the same and therefore is dead.) While it may be possible to tune a call to have another form of striking surface be the base of the sound chamber, and same for the opposite side of the call, that does seem like an awful lot of complexities for one small pot call to still sound good though.
I understand what you are saying but what if it were to have two separate soundboards?

John Koenig:

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 28, 2019, 10:22:43 PM
I understand what you are saying but what if it were to have two separate soundboards?
I would then assume that the call would have two pedestals attached to a thin base being the center of the call, creating two totally separate sound chambers. In a standard one inch thick pot there simply wouldn't be enough room to fit all that in and have an adequate sound chamber for each indivual side, I would say maybe if the call was bumped to like 1.5" something might come of it then.

Not sure how this guy goes about it, but for two full size surfaces, two soundboards, two pedestals, and two sound chambers, widening the pot is about the only thing I can imagine that would make something like work. If a call is almost as thick as two pots, in my opinion, you might as well just carry, and choose, ones that excel in each surface as opposed to sacrificing a little for versatility. A good two sider should sacrifice little to none in comparison to the makers standard one sider.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 28, 2019, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 28, 2019, 10:22:43 PM
I would then assume that the call would have two pedestals attached to a thin base being the center of the call, creating two totally separate sound chambers. In a standard one inch thick pot there simply wouldn't be enough room to fit all that in and have an adequate sound chamber for each indivual side, I would say maybe if the call was bumped to like 1.5" something might come of it then.

Not sure how this guy goes about it, but for two full size surfaces, two soundboards, two pedestals, and two sound chambers, widening the pot is about the only thing I can imagine that would make something like work. If a call is almost as thick as two pots, in my opinion, you might as well just carry, and choose, ones that excel in each surface as opposed to sacrificing a little for versatility. A good two sider should sacrifice little to none in comparison to the makers standard one sider.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I started to put up some calls for the season and then my computer crashed. I fully understand what you are getting at and most of it are what my thoughts were as well. I just really thought and still feel I would really like a red/green or green/red slate pot. I really do enjoy the sounds of both as compared to black/gray slate, not that I do not like black/gray slate, I surely do.

John Koenig:

zelmo1

I would be curious to see that design, I have lost tone on a call by raising or lowering the pedestal height a 1/16 of an inch.  :OGturkeyhead:

Spitten and drummen

I guess its possible as Im not a call builder. I will say that there is only so much that can be done to a pot , and in my opinion I feel like by now we would see some floating around if they turned out good. I have never seen one but then again you learn something everyday.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BigSlam51

I'd like to hear a sound file, because I don't think its possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Southerngobbler

This is a little different than what your looking for but Enticer makes a call that both sides can be played. The main surface is glass and that back side that can also be played is corian.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 29, 2019, 05:48:52 AM
I would be curious to see that design, I have lost tone on a call by raising or lowering the pedestal height a 1/16 of an inch.  :OGturkeyhead:
I will talk in greater depth with him as time gets closer and find out more.

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 29, 2019, 09:01:19 AM
I guess its possible as Im not a call builder. I will say that there is only so much that can be done to a pot , and in my opinion I feel like by now we would see some floating around if they turned out good. I have never seen one but then again you learn something everyday.
I hope he can deliver but I see many here having the same fears about how it can be done and the quality as well.

Quote from: BigSlam51 on May 29, 2019, 09:36:36 AM
I'd like to hear a sound file, because I don't think its possible.
You may well be right, I guess I will find out. I did read of another doing it but when I searched the name I could not find anything.

Quote from: Southerngobbler on May 29, 2019, 09:40:37 AM
This is a little different than what your looking for but Enticer makes a call that both sides can be played. The main surface is glass and that back side that can also be played is corian.

Thank you for the idea but to be honest with you I really am more into wood calls than the manufactured materials if you know what I mean.

John Koenig: