OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turpin box calls

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, February 19, 2015, 11:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

if you own one of these calls what is your favorite wood combination.  I have bee driving myself crazy trying to decide what combo to go for and looking to buy one soon.

Jacobson

My favorite is a Turpin short box combo, Mahogany over Walnut, by John Eddleman. I can get all the turkey sounds out of this box.

M Sharpe

Richard Hudson makes a fine Turpin sytled hen box and a non-handled version. My recommendation would be to give him a call and let him play some for you and not really worry about the combination. He may already have something built that catches your ear.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

TheSportsman

Without a doubt, give Steve Turpin in Memphis tn a call. The Turpin family has it down. I have many of them and they are without a doubt pure turkey. Call him, heck of a nice guy and loves talking turkey.

Vaturkeyhntr

Quote from: TheSportsman on February 20, 2015, 11:00:35 AM
Without a doubt, give Steve Turpin in Memphis tn a call. The Turpin family has it down. I have many of them and they are without a doubt pure turkey. Call him, heck of a nice guy and loves talking turkey.

I just got finished talking with him and he said he is going to make me a call.  I have been wanting one and use one of his trumpets already, just finally pulled the trigger and bought a box.

Bennett

I have calls by all of the above and another on order from Steve Turpin.  You can't go wrong with a Richard Hudson hen box. I would also suggest Mr. Billy Buice. Every box I have of his sounds great.

mgm1955

Agree with Mark's advice. Mr. E. Makes an awesome box as does Billy. Got one or more from each of them.

jordanz7935

I have a turpin style hen box from Charles Anderson.Its a rosewood over teak box and the thing is pure turkey. There was a learning curve for me at first but now i can say im more confident with this box than i ever have been with any box call before. I just love the way a good hen box sounds. Im currently fighting off the urge to buy another.  :anim_25:

crenshawco

Another vote for John Eddleman. He makes a fine box that is pure turkey. His callers have a lot of history behind them too

strutnrut

Bloodwood over Walnut, Snakewood over Teak, Apple,and that Spalted Pecan is a damn good combo also. Rosewood also make a great paddle.
Here is the only sound file I have ever tried to make. Teak with a Macassar lid

Will

I can honestly say Richard's calls are top notch.. He makes an awesome sounding call with different wood combos. I have s few that atleast one is with everytime I walk the woods Spring or Fall. Everyone I have is unique in sound.

J Hook Max

Whatever you choose you will get a quality product. Steve is a longtime friend and believe me he knows what a turkey should sound like.

BEARD HUNTER

Richard Hudson had a fine hen box in Nashville.
When a Turkey is ready to commit suicide you can't stop him.