OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rain Gear............

Started by wkyhunter, March 02, 2012, 11:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

Man I hate to think about it, but looks like this spring may be a wet one.
So, what are your recomendations for quality, quiet, camo rain gear. I would prefer bibs for the bottoms vs pants.
Thanks!!

turkey_slayer

How much you wanting to spend and how light you want it? I have the space rain wear from cabelas. It's super thin, packs up light a baseball, and hasn't leaked even in my 30 minute shower test  :toothy12: . With that said, it probably isn't the most durable cause its so thin but so far I've had no problems.

My buddy has the mt050. It's more $$, better built, still packs up small, a little heavier but not bad at all. He hasn't tested it yet but I believe its going to be good stuff. It's also quieter than mine tho once mine gets wet its not bad at all.

I've had frog togs. Junk. Loud, leaked, and ripped easy

redleg06

This is going to sound goofy but I'm a big duck hunter and I figured out that "breathable" waders are some of the best ways to go when it's going to be a wet day in the turkey woods. They are built for warmer weather and are more comfortable than a lot of the rain gear available.

The shirts and jackets that are cool but water tight are a little harder to find.

wkyhunter

I agree about frogg togs ......
Good ideal about the waders.

I hate to spend $200+ on good rain wear , but looks like thats what it takes for dry and durable.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've got cabelas MT050.

It does what it's supposed to do and is extremely durable.

strutstopper

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 02, 2012, 11:50:17 PM
I've got cabelas MT050.

It does what it's supposed to do and is extremely durable.

Best rain gear made IMO.

mossy835

I have used Cabelas revolution with dry plus for two seasons out here in webfoot land and no issues or leaks.

Ol'Mossy

I bought a set from Cabelas 15 years ago they pack up nicely and fit in the back of my vest

Never had a problem with them yet

MCase

YoungJake

I like using those cheap $5 camo raingear sets from wallyworld. I only get one or two uses out of them because they tend to tear, but their cheap enough that its no big deal to replace them. Since I probably only use a raincoat two or three times a year over time it costs me less than to buy a $200 dollar rain suit.

Gamblinman

Quote from: YoungJake on March 03, 2012, 02:30:45 PM
I like using those cheap $5 camo raingear sets from wallyworld. I only get one or two uses out of them because they tend to tear, but their cheap enough that its no big deal to replace them. Since I probably only use a raincoat two or three times a year over time it costs me less than to buy a $200 dollar rain suit.

OK..I hear ya..the problem is that the cheap stuff invariably fails we ya need it the most
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

FttFttVroom!

I've got a set of Squall Tex by Red Head I believe and it's over 7 yrs old and still watertight.

mikejd

Nothing beats a good Goretex set. I have a set for about 13yrs and not 1 drop gets through.
Now they even make better and more important quieter stuff thats my only complaint with mine is I wish it was quieter. Spend the money worth every dime.

Passintime

I've used cabelas hunting for years with great success. I would recommend getting it in gore tex..

wkyhunter

Thanks for all the replies!!