turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

9/11/11

Started by CASH, September 09, 2011, 10:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

I'm sitting here watching a show on NBC about 9/11.  It's hard to believe it's been ten years.  I know all of us remember where we were that day.  Please share your story of where you were when you found out that the twin towers were hit.

I was working for a uniform rental company at the time.  I was training a guy that was a 1st Lt in the Army.  He had just gotten out.  We were driving down US 331 South, heading to Luverne, AL.  I had just changed the station on the radio and we heard a report of a plane hitting the first tower.  I looked at Matt and told him that didn't sound good.  A few minutes later we heard about the second plane.  We looked at each other and both said, "we're under attack!". 

When we arrived at my first stop, my customers were watching the coverage on tv.  We watched with them and then heard about the Pentagon.  I looked at Matt and told him to forget training today, we were going to knock that days route out as fast as possible and get back home. 

As I type this I can still feel exactly how I felt that day.  A mixture of sadness, anger, disbelief, and love for my country. 

I will NEVER forget.
   :cross2: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

njdevilsb

I was in my 9th rade history class at the time.  Our teacher said that once we got done with our short lesson that day, he had something to show us on TV.  I still remember seeing it then, and getting home that afternoon and watching in shock as the replays were shown.

redarrow

I was in Detroit working with a team from The Wayne Wesleyan Church and The Romulus Wesleyan Church. We were building a shelter for abused,homeless,women and children.The Ruth Rylander Center. Pastor Chris Stively pulled up and called us to gather round. My heart sank as he relayed the news. I remember we all joined hands and prayed together.I couldnt help but think that if this was my last day on earth,at least I died doing Gods work.

OLE RASPY

I was working at a welding/fabrication shop and was welding on some big baskets that they spin copper on and we had the radio on.I was just welding away when my foreman unpluged my welder and said listen to the radio so we got close to the radio and was listen when my foreman said lets go up to the weight room and see if its on t.v. and sure enough it was and when we got there it was showing the first tower falling then we watched the second one.I was in disbelief then i was sad for the familys and then anger set in that somebody would do that. :jesus-cross:

Hognutz

I was at work when my superintendant told me some plane had hit a building in New York. The first words out of my mouth were,''Some towelhead, I bet''. Then he said that he thought that it was just an accident. Then the second one hit. The rest is history. God Bless America!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Kylongspur88

Getting ready for English 101 freshman year of college when I turned on the T.V and saw the second plane hit.

dirt road ninja

A friend and I were sight fishing reds before work, we had heard it was a plan crash. It wasn't until I got to work that we learned what had happened. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

kamski1151

God bless America.This country is in hard times, But still the Greatest nation in the world. I will never forget 9/11/01 :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

PANYHunter

I was in my 12th grade English class when the principal cam in and told us about it.  We put on the tv and watched the coverage of it.  They had set up a tv in the cafeteria that we could go watch during our free time.  We were all in a state of shock and disbelief.  My parents and I had made a trip to NYC that summer for a Yankees game and some sightseeing.  I remember walking by the Twin Towers and looking up at them in pure amazement.  Hard to believe what happened to them.  AMERICANS will prevail  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Solid Snake

I heard it on the radio on my way to my senior year of high school. We still had class all day but every class either watched the coverage or had a discussion about what was going on. I also remember a year later sitting in my college dorm with my roommate cheering as the news showed us lighting them up over there.

Kywoodsman

I was in the fourth grade doing some assignment. A couple other teachers came into the room and gathered around my teachers computer just staring at it and not saying a word. They didn't tell us at school what happened but as I got home that day my parents set me and my younger brother down in front of the T.V. and tried there best to explain to us as children what had happened and what was going on. I can still remember my dad saying, "Boys, every generation has a moment in history where the nation just stops, something that you will never forget, something that your children will read about in history books one day, and just as I can remember Kennedy being assassinated when I was little you will never forget this day." When I was 10 years old I could never have imagined how right he was.

Kywoodsman

I can also remember being in church the next Sunday and we always had a point in the service before the sermon when anyone who wanted to sing in front of the church could come to the front of the church and sing. That particular Sunday a gentleman who always sang in the choir came to the front and proceeded to start into the first verse of the Lee Greenwood song "God Bless the U.S.A." As he sang one by one people started rising to their feet. You could hear the sobs of people in every direction. By the time he finished that song every single person was on there feet and there was not one dry eye in the entire church. As soon as the song was over everyone burst into applause and stood in ovation with tears running from there eyes for no less than 5 minutes. It was a powerful and moving thing to see.

Bonjour

I was just pulling up to the school where I was doing my student teaching when I heard about the first plane on a radio talk show. I wasn't quite sure that I had heard it right and dismissed it. As I started teaching my morning classes, the principal came in and walked right up to me and quietly said that a second plane had hit the tower. Without a pause, I said terrorists. We had a tv set up in the library to watch during free time for the older students who could really understand it. I remember walking into a vacant lunchroom and all the high school kids had taken their lunch to the library and were watching more intensely than I had ever seen them before. I also remember driving the 30 miles home after school and seeing the lines of cars at every station, filling up on gas that was jacked up to $4.50 a gallon. Glad I filled up the night before. I was filled with hatred and anger when I got home and watched the replays that night and sadness for those we lost that day.

Luke95

I was in 1-3 grade I can't remember so probably 1st and the teacher turned on the tv and I just sat their stunned then I went home and my mom told me dady isn't coming home from work until I just don't know. Well my dad got home at 10:30 pm he works for Sikorsky aircraft and he was one if the men that flew up to the towers and was over them. I will never forget that day. But my dad us safe and is home but it was terrifying to a small 6 year old 10 years ago today.

Luke95
Sumtoy Get Choked

Woodsman4God

I watched the movie untied 93 last week about the plane that was crashed in shanksville and man I was on pins and needles remembering that day.

I was at work in a fcatory in Detroit, I walked by the production office and saw the first tower on fire and thought it was odd that they were watching the first die hard movie, It didnt strike me that it was not a movie at the time and that scene in die hard is at night, about 15 minutes later one of my maintenance staff called me and said we were attacked by terrorist nad then it all hit me. One of the saddest things that struck me was that my grandfather who fought in WWII once told me that all the horrors he had to endure were so that I would never have to see anything like he did in the war, God Rest his soul now but unfortunately all his blood and friends blood didnt protect us from seeing some of those horrors. The only thing that I was thankful for was that my Grandfather was a little to senile to know what was actually happening it would have crushed him.

My prayers go out to you alll young for what happened this day 10 years ago.

God help us all
Leo