OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Check this out, which side do you take

Started by sugarray, July 11, 2011, 03:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43710936/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?GT1=43001

I just read this article.

Was justice served?  You have to read the whole article, not just the headline.

barry

That's a tuff one!
I think he did cross the line with the 5 extra shots, BUT I wasn't there and don't know how scared he was. I might have done the same in his shoes.
Life sentence sounds a little stiff, he was protecting himself and others to begin with.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

As much as I hate to say it, he was no longer in a self-defense situation and could have chosen not to even go back in the store if he was worried about re-endangering himself.

If the kid had been rolling around and still had a weapon it's one thing.

In my mind, it's hard to justify reloading an additional 5 rounds only to discharge them into an unconscious, used-to-be hoodlum.

This gentleman was former military and contrary to some opinions in the opinions section below the article, law enforcement/military are trained to continue shooting until the threat is eliminated.  They don't keep shooting when a suspect goes down and is unconscious.

I wholeheartedly agree that the kid got what he had coming to him but the man is guilty in my mind.  

I'm also left wondering, if the initial shot had killed the kid or whether the wound was survivable?

CASH

I was going to say I don't give a damn how many times he shot a thief.  But, after reading the entire article I have to side with the jury.  There was no rhyme or reason to go back behind the counter, get ANOTHER gun and fire five more times into the guy when he's obviously out of the fight.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

GobbleNut

Sounds like a "temporary insanity" defense if ever there was one.   
It's hard to believe, unless there were some extenuating circumstances that were presented at the trial, that the guy would have gotten a life sentence for this.  When so many criminals seem to get off with what appear to be light sentences for real, hard crime, it is hard for me to reconcile a citizen getting a life sentence for shooting a criminal in the act.

TnTurk

I think he's guilty of something, I don't know what, since he did go back and get another gun and fire five more shots into a probally dead teenager. I do not believe he should of been convicted of first degree murder though.

savduck

He acted in self defense, but probably should have held off on the other five. I dont feel 1st degree murder is justified, but do feel some punishment is warranted. I have a Vietnam veteran father very close in age to this man and also two active duty military brother n laws. All of which had some form of PTSD and have seen combat missions. I have seen my father react to robbers before, he did not shoot anyone, but he went into survival mode. He cleared a 5 foot fence chasing them without touching it.....this was in his late forties. When i got there he was in another place, his eyes glazed over. I have also seen one of my brother n laws in a situation that put him in defense mode, and had the same glazed over eyes and super strength.

My point is that when faced with a fight or flight situation people act differently. This man could have had that same eyes glazed over ardenaline rush i have seen in my own family before. PTSD and Adrenaline rushes are REAL and it can make people do some crazy things. The video cuts off on me. Was the kid still moving or twitching?

Sad thing is. You watch enough news. Oklahoma is being over run with gang violence. Gangs are watching this verdict and will be emboldened to commit more crimes. If they would allow some "Wild West" self defense by common man, we wouldnt be dealing with thugs like this. I wish he would have shot them both dead. They worry about what to do with the men coming home.....I say classify gangs as domestic terrorists and turn the military loose.

Oh, and  Im on his side.
Georgia Boy

OLE RASPY

Should not have been robbing the place dont care how many times he shot him.It was self defense, i wasnt there.The teenager might have been down on the ground but still trying something.Hes dead its the teens fault.

Jay

I suppose finishing off a wounded animal isn't a legitimate argument. Personally, I could care less about the trash that got killed. Sentencing the pharamacist to life I totally disagree with. Maybe manslaughter at the most.

Dbrnmllr

Was the five shots excessive, sounds like it, but I am not him.  Doesn't OK have a castle doctrine??  Either way, hat ds him in was pulling out another gun after he left the store.  LEO are trained to pull until the threat stops, and rightfully so.  If the teen was still moving, it is possible he still felt threatened.  Should have been a lesser charge if any.  One less scumbag robber....... Thanks to the pharmacist!!!

guesswho

Antwun Parker decided to play a dangerous game and lost, it should all be on him!   I side with the Pharmasist.  You pull a gun and threaten me and my co-workers and there are no rules after that point as far as I'm concerned. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Iowaturkey

He should have found another gun and put all it had into him as well.  He won't have to be looking over his shoulder waiting on him to get even some day.  No justice was served here.  jmop

VaTuRkStOmPeR

when is the last time you guys shot a deer AFTER it had stopped moving AGAIN?

how bout a turkey that you hammered and it went straight down without flopping AGAIN?  ever pump another round into it just "because?"  

doubtful.

i know the contexts are not identical but the fact is, you have to consciously think about getting another gun with five rounds and then discharging them into another human being.

we've all had to decide whether or not to shoot an animal we thought was mortally wounded again based on OBSERVING its actions.  These are examples of the decision making involved in all of these processes (shoot/don't shoot).  

if you come into my house, you're getting lit up, but im not going to continue shooting into a motionless body.  scum or no scum, that ain't right.

i wouldn't say the life sentence is either, but he definitely deserves a serious sentence, imho.

military, law enforcement and citizens are given the right to carry a gun and use it in defense of ourselves.  we are NOT absolved of acting responsibly when choosing to employ deadly force.

lacountryboy

I don't like thieves, but the guy went from self defense mode to trial, jury, and punishment mode.  He did this because he was mad not because he felt threatened.  He got what he deserved.
William

savduck

Im just saying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1s4Tr7Ag9M&feature=related

It happened in Lord of the Rings.....my man may have seen a twitch.
Georgia Boy