OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking of Buying New Gun

Started by TurkeyAssassin, July 08, 2011, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyAssassin

Thinking of buying a new gun for home/personal defense and sport shooting.  Not real sure what I am wanting.  I do like the AR line, but thought something compact more of like a mp5 style would be nice to have.  What would yall do?
Owner of FC Photography
www.facebook.com/FC.Photography01

Tail Feathers

A short barrel AR with a collapsible stock would make a versatile home protection gun as well as a great plinker and varmiter. 
An MP, while very cool, is less likely to have a big resale market if you decide to sell it.
I still recommend a pump shotgun for home defense.  The sound alone usually ends any intruder's thoughts of crime.

Researchers in New Guinea once found a tribe that had never seen a white man, TV or even a firearm.  The researchers racked a 12 gauge near them and all of them instinctively threw their hands up and surrendered.  They didn't even know why, it's just that sound commands respect! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TurkeyAssassin

Already have a pump 12 in the corner next to the bed... wanting more of a rifle now
Owner of FC Photography

lightsoutcalls

Ever seen the old Ruger 44 mag carbines?  They haven't been built for a number of years but can still be found at gun shows from around $400 up.  They are not much larger than a 10/22 and look quite similar.  Seems they hold about 4-5 rounds.  Hopefully a person would never need more than that...  They would also double as a nice short range deer/hog gun.

A person can get an SKS or AK for less than an AR rifle.  They are by no means as accurate as an AR rifle, but for home defense, you won't be talking about more than 10 yards at the very most.  An SKS with the Tapco stock can be pretty easy to maneuver and will hold a 20 round clip. 

Just some thoughts...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TurkeyAssassin

Funny you mention the 44 I have one sitting in my gun case as we speak lol
Owner of FC Photography

woodchip

Quote from: JohnDoe on July 08, 2011, 08:57:08 PM
I also believe a pump shotgun is the best for home defence.
However no one will ever hear me rack mine as they will be dead.
Never rack first. The reason you have it out is you fear for your safety.
Rack the gun and you reveal your position.
Shoot first.  Shoot to Kill.

John
:happy0064:

Odessa

For home defense I stick with a handgun; easiest to use inside a building, adequate for the distances involved.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

surehuntsalot

there is nothing better,bar none for home defense than a pump shotgun
the SKS/AK weapons or the AR rifles have way to much penetration
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: surehuntsalot on July 10, 2011, 08:47:51 PM
there is nothing better,bar none for home defense than a pump shotgun
the SKS/AK weapons or the AR rifles have way to much penetration

Good point on the penetration issue.  I was focused on the cost issue of an SKS or AK as opposed to an AR.  Home defense is an issue I haven't put much thought into other than having a shotgun within reach of the bed. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

dirt road ninja

If you already have a shotgun and a 44 bedside you may need to consider moving to a safer neighborhood. :lol:

Sounds like you are trying to justify a new purchase. Life is too short buy what you want then tell the wife. It's easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. Enjoy your new AR.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: dirt road ninja on July 11, 2011, 10:48:18 AM
If you already have a shotgun and a 44 bedside you may need to consider moving to a safer neighborhood. :lol:

Sounds like you are trying to justify a new purchase. Life is too short buy what you want then tell the wife. It's easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. Enjoy your new AR.

Ninja got you figured out! :lol:
A .223 with the right ammo will not over penetrate.  My department had an officer involved shooting years ago.  Hit the guy from about 50 feet with two 55gr softpoints in the chest, no exit.  Sounds like you have the other areas covered, enjoy your new AR. :z-guntootsmiley:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!