turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

partition or game king?

Started by Richyb, June 30, 2011, 05:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

If I was after moose, it would either be a 180gr Partition or a 168gr Barnes TTSX.  Either would be a great all around bullet for any game you decided to hunt from any .30 caliber.

trackerbucky

Here's another vote for partitions.

I only ever shot one moose, but it was with a 180 gr partition from a 30-06.  810 lb animal dressed.  Just behind the shoulders at about 90 yards.  Bullet came to rest under the hide on the opposite side (I can just imagine the hide streching out at least a foot to "catch" it.) Moose went about 35 yards and folded.  Bullet retained 78% of its weight.  

I use partitions and accubonds on our big northern whitetails (200+ lbs).  Never had a bullet performace issue with either one.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Personally, I would shoot the Barnes TSX or any other Barnes big game bullet.

The partition would be my second choice.

The game king would not be an option.

The partition is designed to retain weight and structural integrity while penetrating through thick skinned, dense bone structured animals.

It does not do much in the form of expanding.

The Barnes on the other hand is designed with the same intentions, however, it expands.

There is not a better bullet on the market, imho, than BARNES.

Richyb

The whitetails im after are up here in ontario canada and can get over 300lbs The moose hunting i will be doing will only be out to 200 yards max. So it looks like the 165 partitions will be the way to go out of my 30-06. I would like to use the game kings for something but I just dont see the point of using a heavier bullet for deer when i will be shooting a lighter one for moose. Maybe i can pawn the game kings off on my dad for his 308.

WyoHunter

Quote from: Richyb on July 01, 2011, 06:34:43 AM
Thenks everyone. Would the partitions work good for deer too? or are they too hard? I have also got some 180gr hornaday spire points. Are they a harder or soft bullet?
They work great on our antelope, muleys, whitetails and elk. Have never had a problem with expansion or penetration.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

flintlock

125 gr of FF blackpowder pushing a 58 cal roundball.   :)

Good luck with your load and post some moose pics this fall.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!