News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got Tagged By A Bobcat

Started by Sasha and Abby, April 22, 2022, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Sasha and Abby on April 22, 2022, 02:01:16 PM
I could never have imagined this could happen.

Walked in a black river swamp at daylight.  Heard two birds about 300 yards away.  It was still pretty dark so I cut the distance to 100 yards after crossing a small flat of water.  Set up against two massive cypress trees with about a 20 inch opening between the two. 

Gorgeous place with 12" grass as far as you can see and huge timber...  you can see 100-200 yards all through this place. Made a few light yelps and got cut off.   Birds gobbled 7-10 times and then went quiet.  I was waiting for 25 minutes and saw/heard nothing.  Called a couple of times and zilch...  waited another 15 min and decided to get real aggressive before going to another farm.  Got a box and started cutting on it while cutting back on the mouth call...  then finished up with  a jake gobble... NOTHING...  did this same sequence again a few min later and nothing.  Waited 5 more min and decided to check my texts.  As SOON as my hand hit my jacket pocket, there was a WHAP!!!!! across my back and bounced off my head. It pounced on me from between the two giant cypresses.  As I immediately turned to see a bobcat in high gear going across the same log that I crossed WIDE OPEN. 

Probably the most memorable hunt I have ever had...  Killed probably 40 yotes that came in to a call and seen many more.   I have only seen a handful of bobcats turkey hunting in the last 45 years...  I'm thinking I only saw a scarce few of the ones that are there.  Still trying to get my arms around what happened.  Absolutely unforgettable.
Happy everything turned out allright, and damn what an experience and story to tell!!

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

joey46

Always get a kick out of the bobcats.  Had one attack my decoy in Big Cypress, have them hanging around our back yard bird feeders trying to ambush a stupid squirrel, and after much digging found this picture of a young one sneaking up on my Funky Chicken decoy back in 2020.  Gave him a slight whistle to send him on his way.  We'll shoot any coyote but leave the bobcats alone when turkey hunting.  There is a season for them that ended 4/1 in Florida. 

High plains drifter

You could have called in a grizzly.

Marc

That is a badass story there....  When you are telling it, make sure you turn it into a mountain lion or even a BigFoot though. ;D

Had bobcats, foxes, and coyotes come into a call...  Animal that made me change my hiding strategy was a bobcat that jumped up on a fallen log in which i was hiding on the the other side...  Soon as he saw me, he sauntered over to the far edge of the limb and watched me.  Figured it could have been a bad deal had that been a mountain lion that was not as hesitant when coming over the top. :o

Never had a predator contact me, but have several rush me when I try to wave them off...  Jumped a lion in an old abandoned motor home, and all I have to say, is that I am glad I was wearing brown pants.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

310 gauge

Wow, that's a close one! My Wife would have made me take rabies shots because he touched me...I ain't lying!!!

GobbleGitr

A memorable day for you!  Brian Lovett had one do that to him a few years ago...actually sported some scratches from the encounter.  2 of my friends here in Iowa had bobcat encounters like this a couple years ago.

RatherBeHunting

Cool story and quite the experience. Glad you were not hurt and could share it. Thanks!

topnotch

A friend of mine related a similar story 20 years ago while call to a turkey, but in his case the bobcat jumped on his back. It ripped his coat and after they rolled around it realized it had made a mistake.

Sasha and Abby

This one hit my back/head also...  never heard a thing until it leapt on me... all the racket I was making, I'm sure he thought it was easy dinner.

Marc

Quote from: 310 gauge on April 24, 2022, 09:30:54 AM
Wow, that's a close one! My Wife would have made me take rabies shots because he touched me...I ain't lying!!!
I believe you, cause I would be in line right behind you.  I find that omission can often be a wonderful strategy.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

Awesome story bro. Glad you are ok.

redleg06

Those things have an unbelievable ability to move through the woods quietly, relative to most other critters I've observed.  Cool story

NCL

Great story, glad you were not hurt. True case of the hunter becoming the hunted