turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wild boar hunting in Tennessee

Started by TurkeyAssassin, June 08, 2011, 11:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyAssassin

Anybody have any to hunt?  I have never killed one and would love to go hunting just to kill one.  Not really looking for paying all out to hunt them.  If anyone has any info or can point me into the right direction it will be greatly appreciated!
Owner of FC Photography
www.facebook.com/FC.Photography01

harvester

There is NO longer a hog hunting season in Tennessee. You have to get on an "exemption number" from a land owner, land owners are only allowed to add 10 people to that list. On the good side of things, if you can get on that list you can bright light them, trap them, bait them, just do about what ever to eradicate the species. Go to tndeer and look under the TWRA questions forum. You will see what I am talking about. TWRA is trying to get the transplanting of hogs stopped across the state of Tennessee, since they opened up a hog season, small isolated pockets of hogs have been popping up all across the state.

TurkeyAssassin

That was what I wan meaning trying to find someone that would add me so  can say I have killed one.
Owner of FC Photography

WV Gobble Gobble

Don't know if you have your heart set on TN but I hog hunted in FL and it was great.  There is no licence requirements and I hunted with a buddy.  I think that the outfitters are reasonable though.

TurkeyAssassin

May try somewhere in Alabama since I am located right on the state line.
Owner of FC Photography

Beretta686

You got hogs right outside of Huntsville. One of the folks that have my pump control and register system are from Huntsville and go hog hunting up there.

Hogs are everywhere in Alabama. You can get a special permit where you can hunt them at night and over bait. No limit. I built an AR just to shoot pigs around here.

We have been in a drought so I'm not sure if they are still on my place in SE Alabama. I set a feeder and game camera a couple of weeks ago. I won't know until I drive the 130 miles back down there.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Basser69

Good luck finding someone in Bama to let you hunt for "free." I live here and cannot find anyone that will let me hunt 'em unless I join their hunting club. The club I am in, I love but no hogs on the property, which is a good thing for the native game but bad for me looking for a bonus animal.

Good luck in your quest!

Beretta686

trust me, if you let a land owner know you want to kill hogs, they will let you. You may have to trap them and hunt them over bait. To the land owner it is a problem, so they want someone to keep at it. The land owner just doesn't want someone to show up and shoot a hog and then be gone. It needs to be a win, win situation.

Land owners love pork too, quarter it and be sure to offer them some.

Believe it or not, you will be surprised at how many land owners will invite you on their land. Here is the catch, you have to treat it better than your own land. YOU are the guest of the land owner, Don't show up with a group of folks to hunt hogs, respect everything that the land owner tells you. For instance, I hunt on a huge sod farm, we can kill all the hogs we can, but no trucks or ATV on the grass. Makes for a long 600 yard drag back to the truck some times. We kill the hogs tearing up the sod and go when he calls us.

Put up a sign at a local co-op for free feral hog removal or talk to the game warden. I volunteer and teach hunter safety for the state so I know several of the game wardens.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

TurkeyAssassin

Thanks Beretta, I will check into that  :z-guntootsmiley:
Owner of FC Photography

stone road turkey calls

Don't you dare waste that meat, man that is 100 pds. of sausage, chops and bbq.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call