Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

3 more birds

Started by aclawrence, April 30, 2024, 08:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Let's go Strut Stoppers we need three more birds to have a total of 9 birds for our score. I haven't gotten to hunt near as much this season as I was hoping. My truck is parked in my basement with my driveshaft on the work bench. Terrible timing!  I have been able to call in a couple gobblers from a good distance but they both hung up about 75 yards and wouldn't come any closer.  My season here in Alabama is going too fast!  How are the rest of y'all doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey harvester

I'm in the same boat. Tranny went out on my truck yesterday. But got one coming today hopefully. My season has sucked!! Birds wont gobble, not really seeing the numbers we have in the past. I freakin missed one Sunday which I aint got over yet but I got 1 more weekend and its over for me. Rain has been terrible here in SE MO. We're gonna hit a new farm this weekend and hopefully add something to the board. I'm not much help this year.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

wvhoyt19

Hang in there men! My boy and i was able strike one up for him in WV. We setup on a couple different birds but they didnt want to play the game. We finally struck one around 10 and worked him for a solid 30 minutes. He spotted our jake decoy on an atv trail and committed. Awesome hunt! We got our tails kicked since but are trying to get a plan together for later this week then im off to PA.

aclawrence

Quote from: turkey harvester on April 30, 2024, 08:48:05 AMI'm in the same boat. Tranny went out on my truck yesterday. But got one coming today hopefully. My season has sucked!! Birds wont gobble, not really seeing the numbers we have in the past. I freakin missed one Sunday which I aint got over yet but I got 1 more weekend and its over for me. Rain has been terrible here in SE MO. We're gonna hit a new farm this weekend and hopefully add something to the board. I'm not much help this year.
Sorry to hear about your truck and your season.  I'm glad I killed a bird on the opening day!  It took a lot of pressure off.  I would say that when I have gotten to go my hunts have been great.  I'm gettin on birds which is a success for me.  I remember a couple years ago I don't think I ever even sat down to a gobbling turkey. 

Turkeyman

Thus far I've been out four times with the bow. I've had a few in gun range but alas, not bow range. Heavy artillery coming up!

Turkeyman

Went out with artillery for the first time this morning and killed a good bird. 19#, 1 1/4" spurs, 19.06#. Qualifying photos and good story when I get home...still on the road after another.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Our season is over in ms, has been for 10 days. I did not make any of my planned trips. I took the vacation, but georgia was rain the entire opening week where i wanted to go, and i had to be back by that weekend. Didnt feel like buying a license to sit in the rain for a week and 20-30 mph winds. The next week i was supposed to go to arkansas...the forecast looked similar but cleared up for a single day that weekend. I didnt go there either. An arkansas non res license plus the turkey stamp is 510 dollars. One of the highest, not worth it this year being I would only be there 4-5 days in potentially bad weather with literally zero good weather. Ill wait for a year where i have more time to play with before I buy that license , might be different if it was a decent place to hunt verses quite literally one of the worst places to hunt. Not making excuses either...i went to both of those places last year, and weather was not good then either, but i had a little more time. I spend the remainder of my vacation hunting an unkillable public land bird here at home. You cannot call to the bird...period. If you call, you might as well walk to the truck, hes done. He would gobble on the limb and roosted fairly consistently in the same general area, but killing him at flydown was about the only way to kill him other than blind luck. I spend 1 week roosting that bird every evening, and climbing under him the next morning. At this point of the season shooting him off the limb was not an option because everything was leafed out to the max, not that i would do that anyway...but just pointing out it basically wasnt an option if you were to do that. This bird will not fly down if he doesnt see a hen....he will just stay in the tree...if you put a decoy out, which i rarely do he will simply fly off ..lol...seriously. One morning...i was very very close to him. And i was sitting at my tree at 5am. At 530 am he was already drumming on the limb. He didnt gobble til 630 but he drummed the whole time. He was very consistent, typically gobbling about 10 times on the limb every morning. this particular morning, his hen who of course was roosted with him, flew down on the side of hill about 30 yards from me. actually a bench but she was on the inside lip of towards me. OF course with a hen on the ground, he flew down shortly after, but he landed right on the other side of the lip and i could not see him. Within 10-15 seconds she walked over the lip to him....and it was over. He did gobble on the ground...but he was a few hundred yards away after that. If he had landed literally 5 yards in a different direction i could have seen him. The next morning I had a friend with me,  I put him in one spot and i went and got under the bird. maybe 250 yards from where he was the morning before. that morning , the same thing happned. Drumming at 530, started gobbling at 630. however because i was on the finger and he was in a tree roosted in the middle of open drain i was about eye level with on the limb and i could see him. He was 50 yards exactly from me. He stayed on the limb until 730. Gobbled about 10 times. I never called but i did get my buddy to tree yelp as he was 250 yards or so down hill in the creek bottom and probaly 150 ft elevation difference. It made no difference to the turkey, he could care less. A hen flew down, and he flew down after into the bottom. This time however because i was at elevation when he pitched out i had the ability to get up and move. So i went to the top of the ridge where it was flat and sat there. I knew there was a good chance he may follow that hen up there.....well he did. about 8 oclock. i hit a hawk call several times, and a crow in a tree next to me started cawing. He gobbled and he was just out of site down the ridge. Where i thought i heard the gobble, i turned on the tree with my barrel facing that way. about 15 seconds go by and i hear walking to my immediate left 9 oclock. I slowly ease my head that way and a hen is 20 yards from me, and even with that slight movement...she started putting. 20 yards behind here was a fanned out gobbler. He dropped his fan and dissappeared. I had misjudged the direction the ridge was i had just walked up. It had a slight turn in it. I should have never moved. So i had my chance with the unkillable bird. If i had stayed where i was he would have been down the gun barrel. That was the end of my turkey season. I made 5-6 hunts on that bird alone getting under him in the mornings. He always pitched out too far , or the terrain got me. I also thought he wasnt there one morning, and got up at 8 oclock and he was still in the tree and he flew off lol.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

aclawrence

Dang Dzsmith, that gobbler will hunt you the rest of the year!  It sounds like it got personal and you gave him a heck of a run. Almost got it done!