OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg SA-20 vs. Mossberg 500

Started by turk3ythug, May 07, 2024, 07:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turk3ythug

Looking to purchase a new dedicated turkey gun and could use some input/ comments. Torn between the Mossberg SA20 and Mossberg 500 Pump. both 20ga and the both are within 2" of length from each other and both around 6 pounds so I'm not too focused on the differences there. How many of you couldn't live without your pistol grip or how many of you don't care for the pistol grip or have experience with pros/cons of either gun? I shoot a franchi afffinity 3.5 now in 12ga and would like to retire that long thing from the turkey woods and leave it to wing shooting. Thanks ya'll.

jhoward11

I've had both, but switched to the 835 for my dedicated Turkey gun. My wife has the SA-20 and shoots 3" TSS #9 Apex out of it, with a Fast Fire 3 red dot. Really good pattern out to 40, without all the kick. She really likes it. My preference is not the pistol grip, as I just don't like it. My opinion for what it's worth.

hoythunter

I tried a pistol grip and it was not for me. I have the sa-20 turkey model with the regular stock and love it.

Greg Massey

I prefer the pistol grip stock myself, it gives you more control of your gun..  SA20 gets my vote ...

mdmitchell

Bottomland OG

I've never cared for a pistol grip but I was fixing to get the sa-20 because it felt really good until I heard that there was plans for sub gauges in the 940.

compton30

Pistol grip on my Franchi is great because the safety is on the trigger assembly. Pistol grip on my Mossberg 535 is collecting dust because of the thumb safety. The two just don't go together.

So I am pro pistol grip but not in favor of pistol grip + thumb safety

Fullfan

Sa 20 for me. Bought it last summer, replaced the trigger spring mounted a FF3 and screwed in an IC 555.
Have smashed 3 so far this season. Also have the 500, it served its purpose, love the pistol grip tho..
Don't gobble at me...

Ranman

DMTJAGER

Absolutely LOVE pistol grips. Have them on ALL of three of my dedicated turkey guns and my 21" dedicated 12ga HD 870.
Am going to buy either a SA-20 or a 20ga Tristar Viper G2 which ever I can get the best deal on and yes it will have a pistol grip.
Me personally I can control my shotgun MUCH better with a PG while working a pot call and I can maintain a MUCH more comfortable near effortless grip on my gun waiting for a Tom to walk into range with a PG VS a non-PG shotgun.

Decided to try a 20ga and TSS after 5 consecutive days of turkey hunting in IL then 7 days in IN lugging around my 24" 9.8lb Remington 870 ESM that wears a saddle mount and a Leupold VariX-II 2-7x34mm scope and steel Burris rings.
Per my ONX trac app I walked over 100 miles in 12 days of turkey hunting this year.
Going to top it with a Bushnell 30mm tube Elite 4500 1-4x24mm scope.

Happy

I am not a fan of pistol grips. I think they look hideous, and i haven't seen the need for them yet. I do like my mossbergs and have both. Personally, I favor the SA-20. However, my 500 has killed gobblers just as well.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

turk3ythug

thanks for the replies everyone, I was offered a SA-28 tactical turkey at a good deal so I think i may scoop it up. New to the turkey game but from what i understand a 28 with TSS is just as deadly as a 20.