turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Open chokes

Started by Zombie1978, April 02, 2017, 12:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie1978

Who hunts with a more open choke? I'm talking modified or full instead of a turkey choke. Most turkeys I have killed have been 30 yards and in.

Izzyjoe

A lot of folks have use a full choke for years, including myself. But would rather have peace of mind knowing that at 40yds I have a very good pattern to kill a bird. You could use a modified, but you will have to accept it's limitations.

surehuntsalot

use a factory full choke  all the time, works great
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Zombie1978 on April 02, 2017, 12:35:19 AM
Who hunts with a more open choke? I'm talking modified or full instead of a turkey choke. Most turkeys I have killed have been 30 yards and in.
One of the best turkey hunters I've known only owned one shotgun. It was an old Remington 1100 that he used for ducks, geese, turkeys and with slugs for deer. It had very little finish left on it anywhere and had 26" barrel with a fixed modified choke.

I never saw him miss a turkey. He was a great woodsman and kept shots within his range. He knew where the turkeys were and scouted most of the year, always looking for new places to hunt.

I hunted with him while he was taking chemo for pancreatic cancer. He was one tough guy and fought the good fight until the end, hunting until just a few days before his death, always with that same modified choke gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

tha bugman

I used to hunt with a full all the time, but I love tinkering too much.  ;D