OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decided to try a super tight choke with some light loads.

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, August 10, 2012, 10:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It seems that if I want to be competitive with a stock gun and a screw-in choke, I will have to compete in events that only allow Stock, or Stock-Appearing guns? 

So far, the only shoots I've found out about in Mississippi are "Anything Goes at 90 Feet with 1.125 Ounce shells".

"You can't win Rock!" (Rocky III reference)  :newmascot:

SumToy

Stock barrel should do fine at 90.  May need to find you one and do some chamber work to it.   Big barrel not any better at 90 other then not heat up and heavy.     One thing if you have not did to your gun is lengthen the cone.  That not hurt hunting side. Chamber work it goes to a target gun then.

Now you DON'T want target shooters around.  That why I had two web sites.  50/50 deal with them.   They about 1/2 keep some kind of bull $#!+ started all the time. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteNow you DON'T want target shooters around.  That why I had two web sites.  50/50 deal with them.   They about 1/2 keep some kind of bull $#!+ started all the time.

Oh crap...........yet another group of people to stress me out. :character0029:

So they talk a lot of smack?

SumToy

I got out and fired a few today to just see.  Now this was a plain 28 inch 870 barrels that has NOT been anything other then brush and alcohol down it.

My table is set with a trigger line.  All target shoot go from the trigger.  So it runs 50 to 90 in one foot marks.  I set the target at 63 so that should be about your 60.  

Fed 3-11/8-8 from walmart.  

This was a 660 
The squares are 33/4x4 inch. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

SumToy

SumToy

SumToy

I would take some of them targets.  That 80 and 90 feet stuff is alot of luck. 

This is the number after I counted them. 

643 4x4 card 173
660 4x4 card 169
638 4x4 card 157 but had alot small holes that I did not count.  I only count what I know is pellet even on tk targets. 

SumToy

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I just picked up some Federal Top Gun 1.125 Ounce #8's.

I couldn't find ANY #9's.

I'll try these Top Gun 8's at 60 Feet, 75 Feet, and 90 Feet.

The .650 choke is what I want to use as a reference.  Maybe one of my other chokes will end up beating it, but I wanted a few patterns and some numbers to start with.  I guess I can always buy yet another choke if I have to.

SumToy

The ones I shot was the 100 pack from walmart.  That is what we see the most of at the shoots all over.  The win universal is next.   

PitJeep and Muddy off this forum shoots alot of it.  I did pitjeep gun and I think they around 85 to 90 in a 5x5 at 90.  Could be more with that shell and that with the Win.  I think if you get up around 75 to 80 you be in running at most shoots you will find.  :icon_thumright: The gun Pit got and Muddy (WBBB gun) get run off from most shoots.

SumToy

Ok this is some more for you to kick around.  New H&R that we did chamber work and put choke.  This show you how it changes.  Now this is 50 ft with the 8's.  All stock guns with choke should do this but chamber clean hole up at times.

SumToy

This was it at 63 ft from trigger line.  It same numbers as stock gun in other post but pattern almost got a hole in it.  1/2 the size as other pattern. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

When I have time, (it might be a while), I'll shoot some patterns with a .655, .665, .675, and .690 to see how they compare to my .650 patterns with the #8 Top Guns.  If opening the choke doesn't help much, I'll need to try something tighter than .650, maybe .645 or .642

SumToy

It is wild how it will work. Our 650 not like 8's.   660 likes it short not much difference in it and small chokes.  Now this was a 642.   Long stuff I run 638 to 645.   Now with one of the layouts we have it works best around a 648.   We have found a 870 likes to be around 642.  Win/Moss likes 645/647 rang.  :icon_thumright:

Hope this help you win a few rounds. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My progress with the stock 28" 870.  I've added the number of hits in 5" x 5" at 60 Feet.  Either of these 3 combos ought to dust a crow at a fair distance.

1.125 Oz. #8 Top Gun and Indian Creek .665, 305 in 5" x 5" at 60 Feet

1.125 Oz. #8 Top Gun and Kick's .650, 245 in 5" x 5" at 60 Feet

1.125 Oz. #8 Top Gun and Ventilator .655, 230 in 5" x 5" at 60 Feet