Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Finally sealed the deal

Started by RutnNStrutn, May 03, 2024, 12:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Yesterday morning I was out at the cattle ranch that I got permission to hunt on. Heard 2 gobblers on the roost, and closed the gap to 75 yards from one, and 100 yards from the other. They gobbled well, and finally flew down. Unfortunately, hens flew down too, and led them away. A half hour later, a pack of 4 yotes cruised through and flushed a couple of silent birds. Game over.
I went back to the same spot for an afternoon roost hunt. It was a slow and quiet afternoon. I called periodically, and late in the day I got a single gobble in response. I let out a few soft yelps and got the gun up. About 10 minutes later, I hear drumming, and then footsteps in the leaves. Then, here he came, cresting the hill, popping in and out of strut, looking for a hen. I let the 20 gauge roar, and sent a load of Apex Small Town Blend TSS to lay him out at 32 yards. :fud: :turkey:
He weighed 19 lbs 12 ozs, and had a 10" beard with twin 1-3/16" spurs.
It's been a long and frustrating season, but the monkey is finally off my back. :emoticon-animal-005:

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congrats Jim, the ups and downs of the season dont seam so bad now!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

TrackeySauresRex

WTG JimBo! Congrats on a good one. Not many ups for me, all downs. Birds are quiet up here and tough to come by.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

Nicely done!  Got to sleep in too!

Tom007

Nice Job Jimmy. I knew you would prevail!!
"Solo hunter"

RutnNStrutn

WildSpur

Great bird!   Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

suburbhunter