OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deer season 2016

Started by wvmntnhick, November 30, 2016, 09:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I'm not making excuses. It's certainly not one of the big bucks I was watching on my bow lease but it's certainly better than average for back home. To be honest, I'd have shot just about any legal buck up there. In fact, I missed a 4 point (twice I might add, at a range I'm ashamed to admit) that was pushing 12"-14" wide about 15 minutes before this deer came by chasing a doe. The gun had fallen off a chair in the camp 3 days prior and after the misses, I assumed it was off. This deer came by, i shot and he just perked up and looked scared. Fired again with similar results. Fired once more and then put the gun down assuming it to b a lost cause and didn't want to cripple him. A sizable chunk of time passed and he just fell over. Turns out, I'd hit him all 3 times. Apparently, being amped up on love kept him alive a bit longer than I'd have anticipated. I was tickled to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Happy

Glad you got the monkey off your back. I had a good couple days up there at camp.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chadly

mgm1955

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on December 01, 2016, 06:01:23 AM
Glad you got the monkey off your back. I had a good couple days up there at camp.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

To be honest, if it weren't for camp, I'd stop going up there all together. That time spent with a good friend is really all the drives me back to the area as far as deer hunting is concerned.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Congrats Kris!  Good job bud. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

wvmntnhick

Thanks fellas. I was back on my bow lease to catch the last 35-40 minutes of light after work this evening. Saw a good buck and almost still think I should've shot him. Back home, he'd have been toast but I couldn't really tell what he was initially as the light was fading entirely too fast. However, if he can make it through the next two days, he's got a solid chance of making it until next year and he should be an absolute monster next fall. I'm hoping so anyway.  :icon_thumright:

2eagles

" hit him all 3 times"  Crazy!

lumberjack

Good deal!  Next time you're coming through....gimme a call

wvmntnhick

Ill try and remember. It'll probably be right after Christmas though.

M,Yingling

Nice Congrats   may not be one of your big ones but remember cant eat them horns
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

RutnNStrutn

I've been told that horns make awfully thin soup!!! ;)
Congrats!!!

owlhoot

Quote from: 2eagles on December 02, 2016, 07:31:41 AM
" hit him all 3 times"  Crazy!
please tell what bullet you were using so we can avoid them
Glad you got your deer and a nice one!