Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Has anyone played Halloran Top Shelf Cacklin' Crystal or Woodhaven Vintage Hen

Started by worth612000, January 20, 2014, 10:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

Has anyone played Halloran Top Shelf Cacklin' Crystal or Woodhaven Vintage Hen . Had the original cracklings crystal. Have never heard anyone mention the vintage hen

Chris Downs

I don't own either and have never played the Halloran, but did get a chance to run a Vintage Hen last yer at the convention.  I thought it was the best Woodhaven friction call I've ever heard, but with that said, I wasn't going to spend the bones they're asking for it either.  I actually liked it much better than the Vision crystal...but don't own that one either.  Just the ol cherry classic crystal for me...haha.  I have run many Hallorans and really like them.  I'd say the Twisted Sister is my favorite Halloran.

dirtnap

I have the Vintage hen.  I like it, but not as much as the Vision crystal.  I have had the Vision crystal for a number of years.  It flat works for me.  I got the Vintage late last year and quite frankly didn't have room for it in my vest to take hunting.  I will give it a go this year.

Never owned a Halloran, but have hunted with people that ran them.  They sound good.

worth612000

Thanks Guys, I really like glass calls and also need a bigger vest to carry all of them. I have the vision crystal, classic cherry crystal, southlands yellow heart crystal, lon trice glass over glass, wendell's glass over slate, cody drop dead glass pot, had a crystal mistress I sold to get a twisted sister. But still don't have enought glass calls. All the other makers I didn't mention, I haven't gotten into my slates, aluminums, copper and ceramics. LOL

WV Ridge Reaper

It will be a few days or a week before anyone can give feedback.David just started selling them 2 days ago.I plan to pick on up before season.

I must say the twisted sister is all turkey to me.

Sent from West By God Virginia.

TauntoHawk

I hope someone here gets their hands on one soon and can make a sound bite, I just want to know if the sound is different enough from my twisted sister to warrent carrying both into the woods.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pressured Gobbler

Well I just ordered one... I don't know about the sound bite but I'm sure it will sound good!!!

letinmfly

I asked George at Midwest Turkey Call to give me his feedback on Halloran's new call compared to the Crystal Mistress and the Twisted Sister.  Here's what he told me...

This new call is similiar to the other two in sound, but way

ahead of them in beauty with cedar laminate mixed in with earth tones in the pot and a striking full color image of a gobbler on the soundboard.

We will have a full color image up on our website later this coming week.

I talked to David Halloran earlier this week about his take on differences and I tend to agree.

Tone wise Twisted Sister is the deepest, Crystal Mistress in the middle and new Top Shelp with the highest pitch. All have good rasp and rollover.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

worth612000

I had one of the old cracklings crystals a couple of years ago until I did some trading.  It sounded good like the rest of David's calls. But it seems the wood combination was different, it was still a laminate call. Does anyone else remember the old one?

Forgot that dirtnap has a Vintage Hen and he thinks that call is similar to the Cherry Classic Crystal,  my guess it that it's a limited edition collectors call. Who ever won that one in Bingo last year did get a great prize.

TBab

I'm waiting on my local shop to get the cacklin' crystal in. Aren't they custom ordered? The guy at the shop said he talked to David and he said he would only send out 3 at a time.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

letsgohunting

I ordered mine from Midwest 2 weeks ago and got it in the mail friday

worth612000

Quote from: letsgohunting on January 26, 2014, 10:40:12 AM
I ordered mine from Midwest 2 weeks ago and got it in the mail friday

And? Don't do us that way. Please provide your opinion, most of us already have the crystal mistress, twisted sister or both.

Thanks

letsgohunting

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

worth612000

Quote from: letsgohunting on January 26, 2014, 03:58:04 PM
This is my frist crystal pot and my frist halloran call.

I 'am sure you will kill many birds with it. All of the Halloran calls are good calls. I killed my first bird with a crystal call and will swear by them. If I were left out in the woods with only one call to my name I would hope it was a crystal pot call.  Nows thats just me, I know others have to own to go to call.