turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 turkey guns

Started by jodyp427, April 22, 2015, 10:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyp427

Who hunts with one and which choke load combo works for you? Post pics if you have them.

rkm456

500 Flex, camo and tan. Seems to really like a Patternmaster Anaconda choke and #6 Long Beards.

chatterbox

I had a 535, but it was just a 500 on steroids.
I used  a .660 Jelly Head, and 3-2-6 Hevi-13, and got very good numbers.

jodyp427

I'm using a truglo gobble stopper choke with Remington nitro 4s. It is too tight with the long beards without putting a scope on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

I currently have 2 Mossberg 500s and find them to be very "forgiving" shotguns. Several chokes work well with them as well as a number of different shotshells. I've also owned a number of 535s and currently shoot a 930 on a very regular basis. All those guns have the same i.d. bore as your 500 and all use the Invector/Win-Choke/Accu-Choke system.

In the recent evaluations I did with WLB & Hevi-13 shotshells, chokes ranging from .643 to .670 all did well with both shells. Brands included Carlson's, JEB's, Kicks, Mossberg X-Factor, Pure Gold and Truglo SSX. All had good numbers and none of the patterns with either shell had any 2" or larger gaps in the patterns. Those evaluations are available on line if you'd like to get a better look at them.

That gives you a very wide choice of chokes that work very well in that gun. The 2 shells mentioned as well as the Magnum Blend shells are all good choices.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" the bore. Starting with a clean bore and shooting whatever combination of choke and shell you choose can help you learn a lot about your particular shotgun.

Again, you have an excellent shotgun and it's just hard to go wrong with a variety of chokes and shells with it. Good luck this season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Izzyjoe

My buddy got one from a pawnshop, and it will shoot 95-110 in 10" with LB 6's with the full choke! Next year I'd like to try some different chokes with his, but he doesn't want to mess with it! I have one with an 18.5 Cly barrel, but I've never shot turkey loads in it cause my HD shotgun, I have another older 500 with a 30" full choke, and it's been a loner shotgun to a friend that duck hunts, but it's another one that I've never patterned with turkey loads, but it's shot countless boxes of steel shot! I really love those older Mossberg's!

Ericbrooks

500s are great cheap guns. I killed a lot of birds growing up with mine before I got my 835. That is one of my fondest hunting memories, my dad and I camo taping up our 500s the night before opening day.

njdevilsb

I have a 535 and shoot a Pure Gold choke with a variety of shells.  Last year I went with the 3" Longbeards just for something that was readily available.  Before that, I always shot Hevi 13 through it and got great results, both on paper and in the woods.  Our season opens nezt week and I'm not sure what I'll shoot through it yet or if I'll even carry it in thew woods.  I'm going to the range on saturday to dial in my options.

dutch@fx4

I to shot a 535 for years and killed a ton of stuff with that old gun anyway a buddy really wanted it so he got it know I have a 500 20g with a Carlson tube that shoots okay out to 40 yards I am still looking for a better choke for turkeys ,any thoughts on the 500 20g tubes for turkeys ..Dutch

stinkpickle

I have a 20" barrel on mine (backup gun) and it's shooting Hevi13 3/2/6s thru a Jellyhead .660.  I haven't tried the Long Beards yet.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on April 24, 2015, 10:45:45 AM
I to shot a 535 for years and killed a ton of stuff with that old gun anyway a buddy really wanted it so he got it know I have a 500 20g with a Carlson tube that shoots okay out to 40 yards I am still looking for a better choke for turkeys ,any thoughts on the 500 20g tubes for turkeys ..Dutch

I have a 20 gauge 500 and it's a great gun, very light and quick. I have a 26" barrel and have tried a variety of chokes with it. Mine likes the #6 & #7 shot Hevi-13 shells and the #7 shot Federal shells with the SSX. I've also had good results with the JEB's and the Hevi-13 chokes as well. I put an ATI adjustable stock on mine so that both Doris and I can shoot it.

Thanks,
Clark

dutch@fx4

I am looking for some other tubes for my 20g now ,I have shot a lot of different shells out of it and just not happy ,we have a hard time getting odd ball shot around here as we can only shot 4 5 or 6 shot .I found the hornady to be the worst ,and the fed flight control to be the best win suprem did not do well in the tube ,it is a Carlson tube ,,D

allaboutshooting

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on April 24, 2015, 03:22:55 PM
I am looking for some other tubes for my 20g now ,I have shot a lot of different shells out of it and just not happy ,we have a hard time getting odd ball shot around here as we can only shot 4 5 or 6 shot .I found the hornady to be the worst ,and the fed flight control to be the best win suprem did not do well in the tube ,it is a Carlson tube ,,D

Your best best would then be the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot. That might be all you need to get the job done. One other thing that might help a good bit is to "deep clean" the bore of your gun. Doris and I shoot 20s a lot in competition and for hunting and some can be very picky. A squeaky clean bore might help a lot.

So, based upon what you've said, I'd probably deep clean the bore, find some #6 shot Hevi-13 shells and using the choke you have, see how it patterns. It may do very well and you won't need to invest in another choke tube. it's certainly worth a try.

Thanks,
Clark