OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Clean Vs Dirty Choke

Started by TKE921, March 22, 2015, 08:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKE921

How much of a difference does a clean vs dirty choke make on a pattern?

I shot my gun a month ago and got 228 pellets in a 10 in circle at 40 yards ( 11-87  Hevi-13 #7  Indian Creek 665 )
     This was on a clean choke and barrel high 50's temp and some light wind

I can not remember if I cleaned it after that last shot and I had a F$#% up on my first shot today so I either had 1 or 2 shots on the final pattern today.  Low 60's temp and maybe some light wind.  Number of shot today was 197 and the pattern was not as even.

10gaugemag

Can you slide your 10" circle around a bit and grab a few more pellets? Just have to clean your tube again and shoot a shot on the clean tube then put up another piece of cardboard and shoot a second shot to compare patterns. If the shot on a clean tube is back up with the original numbers you know your choke prefers to be clean. I would go ahead and shoot 3 or 4 shots though to see if after the first shot you get the same numbers on shots 2,3 and 4, maybe not as high as shot #1 but close enough that you don't have to clean after every shot.

TKE921

I moved it 1.5" left and picked up 3 total pellets.  I can't say I have ever shot that choke dirty, looking for a pattern.  It has always been clean and always in the 220's somewhere.

I guess I should say it still did put 36 pellets in the 3" target spot I was aiming at.

10gaugemag

TKE921

I saw that, right after I posted my thread.  I will be cleaning the gun tomorrow.  It is amazing what a difference can be seen from so few shots.