OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My DIY paint job

Started by CASH, August 19, 2012, 09:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

I've been wanting to paint my Stoeger M3500 for a while.  I bought it brand new in a black finish which I don't mind, but after a few days in the woods and duck ponds, the finish was taking a beating and the shiny metal was starting to show through.

I used a combination of Krylon and Rustoleum paints in ultra flat.  The project actually took me about 3 weeks, but that's only because I would let it sit for days at a time in between coats mainly because of the high humidity here.  I finished it up with 3 coats of Krylon Clear Matte Finish.

I started with a base coat of Khaki and then used an artists sponge for the remaining colors.  On a funny note (to me anyway), I was going for a waterfowl look as this is my bird gun, but somehow in the process I unintentionally went back to my Marine Corps roots and ended up more of a woodland/digital pattern.  All in all I'm happy with it though.  It's my first camo job on a gun so there are some lessons learned.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

coyotetrpr

Nice looking shotgun. Good job :icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Gold Spur

That's an awesome looking camo pattern and shotgun.  :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

gobblergls

Wow! Now that's a great job!  When I started my 20 gauge single shot project, I didn't know about sponge painting.  I do now and if I do another gun, it will be with sponges.  These DIY paint jobs probably aren't as durable as a commercial dipping.  However, any marring or loss of paint can easily be repaired.  You did a fine job.  How did you prepare the gun's surfaces?  Gil

Deputy 14

savduck

Georgia Boy

KYStalker

Nice pattern.  I just did a DIY paint job on my old 16 gauge that I posted to the 16 gauge section.  I used brown in my pattern but after seeing your gun I think I like your color scheme better.  I was cleaning my gun with hoppe's and noticed that the Hoppe's will strip the paint finish off, so be careful not to get your gun solvent on the outside of your gun.
If you're not first, your last!!

vaturkey

That looks awesome Cash !     :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

allaboutshooting

You did an excellent job and it looks great. There's just nothing like a personalized gun and it's great to see folks use their own imagination and do it themselves.

I appreciate your sharing the pictures.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CASH

Thanks guys.  I enjoyed doing it.

Quote from: gobblergls on August 19, 2012, 01:24:19 PM
 How did you prepare the gun's surfaces?  Gil

I wiped down all of the surfaces really well with Acetone and sanded the plastic parts with fine sandpaper to make sure the paint stuck.  Of course wear rubber gloves to keep skin oil off the gun.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

drenalinld

Old Gobbler

Bob , that came out quite well !!!!   :icon_thumright:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

DUCKDIGGLER

WiLL B

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions