OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who is shooting the Sumtoy in their 870?

Started by 762hunter, March 07, 2014, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

762hunter

And what are your results?

I got my 870 with 26" barrel back from the gunsmith. I've added the SurShot stock and forearm, Sumtoy562-5 choke, and a Burris FFII

Finally got to shoot it yesterday and with the Fed HW 3" #7

131 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards

Thought the pattern was very even and therefore deadly at 40.

Just Curious what results anyone else was having.

I did a deep cleaning but have not polished the barrel.

mossyoakpro

For some reason mine did not like the tighter 562....after several hours at William's shop we came up with the conclusion that the 570 works best for my particular gun.  I am shooting a youth model 870 with the short barrel.

I had to do a remount on my FF and so I did some patterning last week.

Best of the day was 181 in the 10 @ 40 yds.  Through a fouled bore which my gun also prefers...is perfectly fine with me since I hardly ever clean during the season unless I get rained on.

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

R AJ

I would shoot at least  a box of  bird shot through that choke and clean it again  before making any shot counts with turkey loads.

130s to 140s and even patterns are common with that choke and 160s+ in several. A 565-570 may do better in yours than the 562 but 130s at 40 is usually smoking them at 30 yards and in with a 20 .

762hunter

Bore and choke were cleaned.

I shot a few times to sight in the FF at 15yds and then backed up to 40 to see how the HW 7's would do.

Number of hits may increase as you stated RAJ, but I'm more concerned with the effectiveness with it in a hunting situation.

I feel confident in the gun now at roughly 40 yards and in.

Looks as though the 12ga will just have to sit in the safe