turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge Pattern?? Number Of Hits

Started by Rem Man, March 14, 2013, 09:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hi guys I was shooting today, 35 degrees and a little wind, and had a question. I was shooting at 30 yards (Remington 870 Express 20 gauge youth.) I was shooting at 10 inch pie plates with a Primos Tight Wad Choke and Federal Flight Control #5 and #6, and several other turkey loads in #5 and #6. I also have a red dot on this gun and was wondering if 70-90 hits is good. THANKS!!!!

SumToy

If the POA/POI is on you are low. The FCW even in lead will be smoking at 30. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Brian Stewart

Most guys want at least 100 pellets in a 10" for their effective pattern. Number #5 aren't going to give you the #'s in the same load that #6's or #7's. If I was getting 90 hits in a 10" circle with #5's I would be happy with that but that would be my range limit. Turkeys moving and hunting conditions not being idea sometimes distort our patterns. If you can clean your barrel out good with denatured alcohol it will help quite a bit on your pattern. It will really clean the plastic out of your barrel. Also if you can try #7 hevi 13's your numbers should pick up too.
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

Rem Man

Thanks guys!!! ok I actually had time to sit down and count, I forgot I shot some heavy weight #6 also. Im getting about 120 with lead and about 140 with the heavy weight. I had a heck of a time adjusting the red dot finding out wich way the dot moves!!!!! is there an easy way to do it. If i move to the up position the dot goes low vise versa.

FullChoke

You adjust the point of aim on the red dots like you adjust a rifle scope.

Get a friend to help you. With your shotgun on a steady bench rest, hold on the bullseye on your target at 40 yards and shoot. Go to the paper and mark the center of the most dense area of the shot pattern with a marker. Go back to your gun on the bench rest and put your sight back on the original bullseye and while you hold the gun absolutely motionless, have your friend start adjusting the elevation and windage on the sight until the aiming point moves from the original bullseye to the new mark at the center of the pattern that you just made.

Put a new target up and shoot it as before. You should be dead on. 2 shots and you are done.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Rem Man

AWESOME INFO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!