turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Decoy or no decoys?

Started by Youngturkey, March 11, 2015, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngturkey

I live in northwest florida and turkeys here are tough. When hunting with decoys I've had many turkeys see my decoys and run the other way. When not using decoys the turkeys hang up at 100 yards from me and won't come closer. This is always on my mind. Any opinions?

Marc

When I do not use decoys (which is most of the time), I do not hunt open areas...  Generally, when I can see the bird, I can shoot him...  I have found that if they think a hen is around, and they cannot see her, they will continue with forward motion.

If I know I am going to hunt an area where I can see the birds (or they can see me) for a longer distance, I will use decoys.  I would use a jake/hen combination, as I have had too many birds hang-up on just the hen (waiting for her to come to him I suppose).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ihuntoldschool

I think decoys are cheating and give an unfair advantage to the hunter. I like to hunt birds on an even level playing field. Some biologists and hunters agree with my opinion, while others do not agree.  Everyone has the right to hunt by their own rules and decide for themselves.

dejake

I think using a gun is cheating.  I dig a hole, lay in it, call the bird in (using just my mouth, of course), then when he gets close. reach up and grab him by the leg.  Now, THAT'S old school.

Spitten and drummen

I could care less what anyone does as long as its legal. for me , I have several decoys but the last 4 or 5 years they been collecting dust.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

turkey buster

Like said. Decoys for open areas using jake/hen combo. But I genreally hunt in the woods and don't need a decoy as when he pops up it's typically at 30 or closer.

jmasters

Quote from: turkey buster on March 12, 2015, 08:50:11 AM
Like said. Decoys for open areas using jake/hen combo. But I genreally hunt in the woods and don't need a decoy as when he pops up it's typically at 30 or closer.
This^

Muzzy61

Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2015, 08:06:33 AM
I think using a gun is cheating.  I dig a hole, lay in it, call the bird in (using just my mouth, of course), then when he gets close. reach up and grab him by the leg.  Now, THAT'S old school.
:TooFunny:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

silvestris

Poison gas was legal in warfare before it was illegal
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

gobbler777

Good answer; one of many. Too much bantering. Just be legal and have a good time regardless of the method.

Quote from: dejake on March 12, 2015, 08:06:33 AM
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Honolua

It depends...

Lately I haven't been using them; or just a jake. Seems early season a Tom deke will probably run them off as they ain't fired up enough to fight hard yet. A jake may get them running in to fight though as the, "Rut", progresses. Around here a hen deke will have them hang up.

A turkeys nature is to come in close enough to let the hens know he's there and have the hens come the rest of the way to him.

IMO, we are going against turkey instinct by sitting down and expecting the turkeys to run in to our dukes and get shot.

Dukes do have their time and place...fields, plots, etc; but I usually leave them in the truck.

HFultzjr

I'm going without decoys this year. I've had too many birds hangup out of range, waiting for the decoy to come to them. After a while, I think they know the games up and wander away gobbling the whole time.

I'm also hunting pressured land, so don't feel safe using anything but hens....too many nuts out there.
I won't even use hens, unless it's during the week days, or later in the season.

:fud:

CntrlPA

I don't even own a decoy. I've found that i'm better off without one on public land in PA. I try to set up in a manner that keeps them guessing and coming closer.

HFultzjr

Cutt

I'd rather use no decoy, and let the bird hunt me than see a decoy. And I can't see paying all that money for something that isn't needed? Some decoys are over 100.00, which is a waste of money in my opinion. If I was to use one, I'd buy a cheap 14.00 one at Wal Mart.