OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

River bird problem!

Started by birdyhunter, March 31, 2014, 10:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdyhunter

So I have a problem with a fl river bottom bird. Every night he roost in the same area just over the property line and every morning he gobbles 3-4 times on the limb then nothing. I have no idea where he goes and he is unresponsive to all types of calling. The closest I can get to him is about 150 yards and there is a tiny creek in between us. No fields nearby and its all open hardwoods with huge palmetto flats. I killed his partner opening morning and I've tried everything I know to kill him but he is kicking my butt. Now I have ann obsession with him and I feel like any other bird just won't do. Any suggestions on how to get this thing done?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

jblackburn

yikes, tough situation. Can you get permission on the neighbor's place?  Maybe some game cams set up could give you a clue to where he travels?
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

FullChoke

Double team him. Try to get him to reveal where he is roosted the evening before and you and a buddy get set up on opposite sides of where he is in the morning. Move in as close as you can under cover of darkness. It might help a lot to use a decoy in this situation. Take a wing and do a flydown wing flap and call the way the hens do in your area. Cluck and scratch in the leaves. Sound horny. Good luck.   

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

bowmike

Leave him alone for a few days, and go back at him. he may be on to you. That or set up a bit farther away, and work away from him a bit. Also don't be afraid to try the Kee Kee run, and other not common used early season calls, something different than what you are doing.

g8rvet

My only advice would be to get mad and decide you are gonna whoop that bird. My brother killed one this morning we had named The Ghost Bird as he would do the same thing-three gobbles on the limb and nothing. I saw him last year at 75 yards, strutting on the  limb, not saying a word and henned up on the last day of the season. My bro retired this year and he made it his mission.  It was accomplished today. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.