OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Decoy Placement

Started by kybowhunter64, March 01, 2011, 09:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kybowhunter64

Can anyone give me a general idea how they set out their decoys. I bought the killer b this year to use with my she mobile, but I've never used them together. I just need a general idea on how to place them. I'm doing mostly field hunting. Thanks in advance!!!

knightrider

i always face my strutter to me and the hen out to the left side of the gobbler, i place them about 10yards from me that way if they chicken out 20 yards shy of the decoys they are still in range. i face the srutter towards me so the gobbler will come around him to face off and i place the hen to the left of the strutter decoy so the gobbler will come in around the right side of the gobbler decoy. just how i do it hope this helps :z-guntootsmiley:

bowhunter84

Quote from: knightrider on March 01, 2011, 09:38:28 PM
i always face my strutter to me and the hen out to the left side of the gobbler, i place them about 10yards from me that way if they chicken out 20 yards shy of the decoys they are still in range. i face the srutter towards me so the gobbler will come around him to face off and i place the hen to the left of the strutter decoy so the gobbler will come in around the right side of the gobbler decoy. just how i do it hope this helps :z-guntootsmiley:

i do mine very similar to the way you do.

hookedspur

Quote from: knightrider on March 01, 2011, 09:38:28 PM
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Muskie03

What knight said is a great set up. but ya never know what they are feeling until you try something. i found there responses to decoys can change as the season progresses. I do use a strutter year round, but not on every set up. sometimes you could have 1 or 10 deke's and it doesn't matter, just get out there and try different stuff.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

reynolds243

I dont use a strutter unless i am getting set up in the dark on some field birds. IF i decide to actually use decs i usually put the jake following the hen quartering to me.  Whether they are to the right or left of me depends on the terrain.  I try to get them out as close to 20yds as possible but sometimes where the bird is only allows 10yds or so.

also i try NOT to put them directly between me and the bird that way if he comes in he is not fixed on me and allows me to adjust if need be. Ideally you want him fixed on the decs that are to the right or left of you allowing you to do what you need to do to get the shot off.

early in the season I tend to use more decs like 3 or 4 but as the season goes on I will go with none or just a hen. if i notice alot of fighting going on in a given week i will add the jake back into the mix.

hunts4ever

HAD TO MANY HANG UP OUT OF RANGE WHICH IS WHY I DONT USE DECOYS VERY OFTEN. WHEN I DO I LIKE THEM OFF TO ONE SIDE AND BEHIND ME. TAKES THE ATTENTION OFF ME AND MAKES THEM GET IN CLOSE.

Hootowl

I am no expert But what I have read and seen on Video's you should always have them Facing you... But then I was  told the other day don't get to caught up with decoys and just Hunt the Birds, Pre scouting and know where they want to go, will do alot better then decoys? But I still like the Idea of a Hen and a Jake in the woods and Field it gives me that Confidence.

Gobble!

I was always taught a gobbler would want to have a face off with a gobbler decoy and approach the hens from behind. Use this to position your decoys so the gobbler will stand where you want him too.

beards-n-bone

I never stay put long enough to put out a decoy....  I think there is still one in my vest, but it requires me to whittle out a stake, its been missing for years.  lol

Old Gobbler

place out in the open where a turkey(s) may see it from a good distance  and pace of the distance so you can make a good clean shot-

#1 rule of decoys don't be siting behind a decoy from  probable and likely direction a hunter may approach -{trail , firebreak, road } in other words dont line yourself up behind a decoy -  you will get yourself sprayed, or worse , if that hunter takes a shot at it  -

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon