turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Friday Devotional 08/24/2012 "Did you hear that?"

Started by BOFF, August 24, 2012, 09:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Today's lifestyle  with the new technology is great!! Think about how things used to be (I'm giving away some age), or the old stories told by the parents, or grandparents. No more running out in the cold to the out house, with a Sears catalog, and corn cobs. No more dirt roads and 1 to 2 hours to get to town. No more wondering what the letter from dear old grandma in another state will tell about in her health.

Today we have been blessed with phones to check in on family living away, running indoor plumbing, paved roads in most areas, etc. We have it good compared to the earlier years...... or do we? Sometimes I wonder, which may be dangerous at times. However, I believe it becomes what we make it, or what IT becomes, if we allow it to control us.

I find many times I am interrupted by the new phone, or computer, or sometimes rushed due to society expecting a more productive day. Some days my quiet times with the Lord are nil, or so rushed, it might as well be nil.

Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

10 He says, "Be still, and know that I am God;

We also read:

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

How is it, in this busy, noisy, rushed environment, we live in, we are able to hear God and His plan for us?  Everyone else, and everything is tugging at us; it feels like we are being pulled from all directions. As written earlier, WE have to choose to control it. Not always easy, but by controlling it, we allow God to control us, simply by being still, and hearing His voice. Putting away the phone, the computer, tv, radio, machinery, and tools.

Just being still, slowing up, and listening to what God has to say, rather than us talking, and asking for things when we are needy. Maybe if we listened to God in the first place, we wouldn't be so needy..........  Shhh, Did you hear that?

Heavenly Father,

Forgive me of going wide open, and allowing things to control me, rather than putting you first in my life. Help me to hear your voice when I am still, and when things are loud around me, may your voice be louder. Thank you for this website, its people, and the country we live in, which allows us to be still in writing/reading a devotional, to hear your voice.

Thank you for always speaking to us, though we may not always hear. Help us to be in tune with your voice, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Help us to just be still, and listen.

May we glorify you in all we do, say, and accomplish. For it is in Jesus name we ask, and claim these things, Amen!!

God Bless,
David B. 

longbeard11

AWESOME devotional!!! Thanks for sharing so much, amazing that God puts things in our life just at the perfect time when we need to hear them.  Our pastor just preached on this sunday night, how the world is so noisy that sometimes we cant hear what God is trying to tell us or where he is taking us. Sometimes we just have to stop and listen, our lives are going at such a fast pace that sometimes we forget or get side tracked. 

I thank God so much that he had a plan for my life and its not up to me, cause who knows where i would be if i didnt stop one day not too long ago and just say "God it all in your hands, i am trying to do too much on my own and i know its not what you have planned for me, so take the wheel and turn my life around" Wow what a difference it makes! I am blessed beyond measure and i never would have imagined it.

snoodlum

Duke0002