turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Drilling and tapping 870 receivers

Started by FullChoke, February 15, 2012, 12:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

There have been several people who have reported that Remington and gunsmiths do not recommend drilling and tapping the receivers of the 870 shotguns for attaching mounting rails directly to the gun. They claim that the receiver does not have thick enough metal in that area for the mounting screws to get a solid grip.

Looking at the 870 shotguns on the Remington webpage, I see at least 4 models that come with either a set of pre-drilled and tapped mounting holes, a mounted Picatinny rail system or in the case of the 870 SPS Super Mag model, a pre-mounted Truglo red-dot scope on a mounting base in the drilled and tapped holes.

Does anyone know if the receivers on certain 870s are machined thicker than those in all of the rest? How can Remington put tapped holes on several of their factory guns and yet advise one to not have it done to your own gun?

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

schief

i have a 870 super mag 12ga that i had drilled and tapped and installed a weaver base plate and a FFll on it with no problem. i also have a rem. 11-87 compact 20 ga that i had drilled and tapped and installed a 336 plate and a FFll with no problem.

redarrow

"How can Remington put tapped holes on several of their factory guns and yet advise one to not have it done to your own gun? "

They can do it because they want to sell you a new gun rather than see you soup up your old gun. It's a money thing.

I'd almost be willing to bet if you mic both receivers you will find the same thickness.

remmy1187

I have had my 11-87 and 870 drilled and tapped with weaver bases and have not had any problems with either.  Shot plenty of heavy kicking loads too.  No pro here but I would say it should be fine.

FullChoke

I just hauled off and D&Ted my 870 20 gauge myself without seeking out Remington's advice. If the actual number of people that have done this could be polled, I would be surprised if ANYONE has had any trouble at all with the screws or bases coming loose due to issues with "thin metal." The trick, I believe, is a combination of using the right screw size and thread, the correct application of blue loctite to the screw threads and proper screw torquing.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Mr16Gauge

Can you say "Lawyers and Liability"?

Nuf Said

:OGturkeyhead:

Harcomo

I had an 870 SPS-T professionally drilled and tapped 18 years ago.  It has a Weaver base on it and originally had a Leupold scope on it but now carries an Aimpoint 9000SC.  No problems here.  Don't know if the new guns are any different though.

billinsd

I had a gunsmith do mine who does warrenty work on Remingtons. Bill

wvnut3

I drilled and tapped 2 11-87's last year and never had any problems

pullit

I can tell you that I have done all of mine and had no problem at all.

pullit

by the way Weaver makes a mount #429 for the 870, 1100. I think it will also fit the 11-87 and others

lock1nout

I had my 870 Supermag Drilled and tapped for the 429 Weaver as well. 'Smith said he had no problem.