OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why all the hype about scopes on shotguns?

Started by rempumpman, May 23, 2011, 12:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BHhunter

I have a Nikon Monarch 1.5 - 4 X 20 on my 835 and will never go back. I keep it set on 2x. Last year I moved when I shouldn't have and spooked a bird that was coming in silent. I swung on him in some thicker trees and had no trouble getting the scope on him. Dropped him at 35 steps. I don't trust myself to keep the beads lined up and my head planted.

WyoHunter

You can only shoot as well as you can see. I started with a single bead, then two beads and then rifle sights and finally to a scope. Nothing beats a scope IMO.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mmusso

Quote from: WyoHunter on May 24, 2011, 07:25:22 PM
You can only shoot as well as you can see. I started with a single bead, then two beads and then rifle sights and finally to a scope. Nothing beats a scope IMO.

This is my opinion on this as well. Are scope/red dots absolutely necessary, no, not for most unless you have bad vision problems. Would some sort of optic be helpful to the majority of us, yes. After a few misses this year do to over excitement and odd shooting angles, I'm going to a red dot for next season. A scope would be a better choice for vision and clarity, but the added weight is the deal breaker for me, so a red dot it is.
Any little thing we can do to give ourselves an extra advantage is helpful. We are already a heavy underdog in the woods, every little bit helps...

Reloader

I grew up with scopes on nearly every rifle Dad had and the rifles he gave me.  Scopes just come natural to me when holding a gun even on fast moving objects.  Some folks that aren't used to scopes seem to have a bit of a problem finding things in intense situations, but using one often will have the scope on target by just pointing the gun.  After a while you get to where you can find things instantly even if the scope is set on high power and the target is at close range.

The only drawback to having a scope on a turkey rig is the added weight.  You are looking at at least 13oz of extra weight on the low end, while you could only have 2-3oz by going with a reflex.  For that reason, I use mostly reflex red dots.  I would much rather use a scope and if anyone ever comes out with one that would only weigh around 8oz including the base and rings, I'd replace my reflex sights.

Scopes don't rely on batteries and work better in low light than reflex or open sights.

Whether reflex, red dot tube, or a scope, they are all much better for turkey hunting than just a bead or open sights IMO.  With beads or open sights, you must take extra time to make sure everything is in perfect alignment before the shot and that is very difficult under intense situations at times. With a scope you simply put the X or dot on their head and pull the trigger. Doesn't get much easier and we need all the help we can get with tight turkey loads and intense situations.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Reloader on May 25, 2011, 10:40:57 AM
I grew up with scopes on nearly every rifle Dad had and the rifles he gave me.  Scopes just come natural to me when holding a gun even on fast moving objects.  Some folks that aren't used to scopes seem to have a bit of a problem finding things in intense situations, but using one often will have the scope on target by just pointing the gun.  After a while you get to where you can find things instantly even if the scope is set on high power and the target is at close range.

The only drawback to having a scope on a turkey rig is the added weight.  You are looking at at least 13oz of extra weight on the low end, while you could only have 2-3oz by going with a reflex.  For that reason, I use mostly reflex red dots.  I would much rather use a scope and if anyone ever comes out with one that would only weigh around 8oz including the base and rings, I'd replace my reflex sights.

Scopes don't rely on batteries and work better in low light than reflex or open sights.

Whether reflex, red dot tube, or a scope, they are all much better for turkey hunting than just a bead or open sights IMO.  With beads or open sights, you must take extra time to make sure everything is in perfect alignment before the shot and that is very difficult under intense situations at times. With a scope you simply put the X or dot on their head and pull the trigger. Doesn't get much easier and we need all the help we can get with tight turkey loads and intense situations.

I couldn't have said it better. 

drenalinld

I have used a red dot and liked it a lot. I have also used a scope and like it as well. I would pick the scope over other choices just because of the possibility of dead batteries. I have experienced this with the red dot, but was able to find the beads under the scope mount and kill the turkey anyway. I took it off my 870 and tried a Leupold 2-7 x 33. I killed a few turkeys with it, but decided I prefer beads.
It is definitely a matter of personal preference. Sighting devices can certainly aid if POA is different than POI.

lightsoutcalls

O.k. here's my 2 cents...

My eyes aren't what they used to be.  That said, I use a scope on a rifle but not on a shotgun.  I put Williams Fire Sights on my 870 and love them.  At the range that my 870 is effective, I still don't have a problem seeing the bird and lining up my shot.  The Fire Sights are basically rifle sights and are windage adjustable, so there is no POA/POI issue.
Rifles? Different story.  A few years ago I stared down the iron sights of a 30-30 trying to grow an extra point on a little fork horn deer on public land about 50-60 yards away.  After several minutes of unsuccessful attempts at imaginary antler point production I raised my head.  My eyes were "crossed" or something where I couldn't focus.  I worried for the next few minutes as I wondered if this was going to be a permanent problem... not a good feeling! After that experience, you won't find me faulting anyone that wants to use a scope on any kind of gun.  If it makes you more confident, it will likely make you more successful when the shot opportunity presents.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

bird

Burris FastFire II user here and damn proud of it too.  I will have to say that after years of hunting without the aid of any type of sighting device that my eyesight went from 20/15 to having to wear glasses for distance and also bifocals.  Even with my glasses on the mid bead and end bead on my guns were nothing but a blur so along comes a red dot and problem has been solved.  Place the dot on the neck and squeeze the trigger......  Dead Bird!

bird
 :fud: :newmascot:

vaturkey

I have a Leupold VX2  2x7x33 on my Benelli SBE2 & my Rem 1187 & I love them. IMO once you get the scope dialed in you will never ever have a problem with POI or POA. I think if you want to get the very best pattern out of a shotgun thats possible ,a red dot or scope is the way to go. Of course the right choke & shell helps also. Just my 2cents !

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

TauntoHawk

I feel like there are advantages and disadvantages to scope that make them personal preference

Holo sights and red dots however are 100% advantages if you spend the money on quality. wouldnt ever hunt turkey without one ever again even for a day..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

rempumpman

Thanks to all that have replied; will be buying a new remington and now will check out a quality scope for it; if I find one that I like it will probably go on; thanks guys and will keep everyone informed on what happens...........rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

vaturkey

Rempumpman

Glad you came around to our way of thinkin !!   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

natman

Quote from: LaBiologist on May 24, 2011, 03:12:06 PM
Natman you would think it aint hard, but in reality it can be.  with tight patterns and bead sights at 40 yards if you are not POA POI then you can miss. 

I'm not quite sure what " if you are not POA POI then you can miss" means, but I'll guess it means if you don't have your sights adjusted so that POA and POI are the same you can miss. That's certainly true, but it's equally true for all types of sights. I agree that it's easy to miss with bead sights, that's why I favor open sights.

Quote from: LaBiologist on May 24, 2011, 03:12:06 PM
Also even though I have perfect 20/20, I still missed a bird because of a limb at 35 yds.  Never saw the limb until I got down there.  I dont notice the extra weight.  Seriously, If a few extra ounces add too much weight, then they need to do some exercises.  To me it is way easier to walk out the woods with an extra 20 lbs, LOL!

I don't know what to say about shooting a limb that's big enough to stop a shotgun pattern.

The weight issue depends where you hunt. If you can drive close to your stand and have to walk a short distance on level ground it's no big deal. Where I hunt it's a fair walk over some steep terrain. The extra pound a scope, rings and bases represents is better spent on a pint of water.

I wouldn't begrudge the weight if I felt if offered any significant advantage to justify it. But I don't. 

natman

Quote from: Reloader on May 25, 2011, 10:40:57 AM
I grew up with scopes on nearly every rifle Dad had and the rifles he gave me......

......Scopes don't rely on batteries and work better in low light than reflex or open sights.....

I think the first sentence hits the mark. Scopes are so inexpensive now that they are nearly universal on rifles now. So there's a whole generation who have grown up on them and have rarely, if ever, used open sights and don't feel comfortable with them.

You're going to have to explain how a scope  is better in low light. I hope you don't actually believe that a scope "gathers light" because it doesn't. Some scopes lose less than others, but none provide an image that's brighter than ambient.

ILIKEHEVI-13

To the last response, a good quality scope that has 90% or better light transmission will actually allow you to shoot earlier or later vs what your eyes can see even if you have 20/20 vision.  I used to have a Nikno Monarch 3-9x40mm scope on my deer rifle.  It had 95% light transmission capability.  I could see in very close to darkness light conditions and could see a lot better with this scope than I could see with my 20/20 or better vision with my naked eyes through my glasses alone.