turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Very Special Glass call"

Started by SS Calls, February 26, 2014, 07:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SS Calls

Built this bronze glass pot for my son Josh a while back to commemorate a great hunt we shared. I'm sure neither of us would forget the hunt being we both got caught with our pants down so to speak.  ;D  I had been calling to this bird on and off for a couple hrs., knowing he was henned up but would get an occasional gobble from him. He went completely quiet then for quite some time. I continued to call occasionally just to let him know I was still there. After a while, I laid my box down beside me to have a smoke. Josh laid his gun in his lap, I didn't have a gun by the way. Within less than a minute, Josh says Dad I see a bird!! I look and here comes this bird in a full run straight at us already 40 yards out and closing fast. Josh immediately started trying to raise his gun but I saw he couldn't get it into position so I putted real loud with my mouth and the bird stopped, then started moving again immediately at us. So I tried to do my best imitation of a yelp with my voice and the dang bird went into strut at around 15 yards allowing Josh to seal the deal. Not the ideal hunt but it sure was exciting and got both our heart rates pretty high!  :TooFunny:  I've noticed since that day, Josh keeps that ol' shotgun tucked pretty close to his should.  :TooFunny:

West Augusta

Isn't that the way it always seems to happen?   :TooFunny:
At least Josh got the bird and you two had a great day in the woods together. 
That call is a great way to remember it.  Congrats.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

letinmfly

Way to go Josh!! Great way to remember the hunt!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

ccleroy

outdoors

:fud:    :OGani:

memories
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ferocious calls

I'd call that a great hunt! A memory maker! When it goes textbook style that memory fades a bid sooner. One of the most memorable hunts one of my huntin partners and I have involves an old tom racing in to us while our guns were propped against a tree. Can still see that old boy standing at 30' in the only spot of sun coming thru the trees, shining feathers and proud as a peacock. Took another season to fool him onto the tote. Great memories guys'. Thanks for sharing!

silverspur

Great hunt, great memory and another great call!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

R.W. Mackey

Well done Al, call and the hunt. Not many folks would have thought to yelp with your mouth at a time like that. Very reason I always have a yelper in my mouth every time I set up.

Congrats, Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

pappy

Super way to commemorate such a memorable moment as father and son. Been there done that too.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

nsselle

Awesome store and very cool call! Nice work boys!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

drum817

GREAT story Al!!!  sweet call too!!!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

blackfalcon

I remember that story Al, a great way to remember a special hunt with your son, it doesn't get much better than that! I also liked the story where the gobbler came in behind you too, and you had Josh pass you the gun. It makes a hunt special when they kind of take you by surprise and do the unexpected.

trkycaller

Cut*N*Run