OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Killer" Koa Kalls

Started by Hookspur, October 18, 2011, 09:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookspur

On the second-to-last day of last spring, I lost one of my all-time favorite calls...an Andy Kaiser pot/peg that he made for me prior to the 2005 season. Andy had previously honeymooned in Hawaii, and brought back some curly Koa wood from his trip, so when I contacted him about making me a call that winter and told him how my first stop of the year was going to be on "The Big Island," it seemed appropriate for my call to be crafted from some of that beautiful, highly-figured Koa. Well, the masterpiece he created was not only gorgeous to look at, but it sounded fantastic, too! A lot of gobblers all across the nation have lost their heads since then due to its sweet nothings whispered in their ears, and I was broken-hearted when I lost it. I even spent 2 days trying to retrace my steps and find it, but without any good luck. When I think how those damnable Pennsylvania porcupines have undoubtedly chewed it to pieces by now, it almost makes me wanna throw up!

Well, I contacted Andy again after I got back home, and recounted how such a tragedy had befallen me. Would you believe that he not only said he'd try to make me another, but that he still had a board of that very same wood in the shop, and he'd try to make an exact copy of my beloved Koa call? How great is that?!

When I told this tale to my best hunting buddies, some of them asked if he'd make calls for them too, and before I knew it, I was ordering 5 of them! I think Andy used up every last splinter of that prized Koa wood, but here they are, and they are magnificent!! Feast your eyes, fellas:

letinmfly

Some fine looking calls from one of the best!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

culpeper

Andy makes a fine call and when matched with a Purpleheart striker those gobblers where ever they are don't stand a chance! :icon_thumright:

870BkWht

Wow, those look top notch.  I hope you and your friends have good luck with these calls.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drenalinld

They look great. I know what it's like to lose a cherished call while chasing gobblers. A friend once gave me a Benchmade knife that is the best knife I ever owned. I lost it while chasing a gobbler and like you have spent many hours trying to retrace steps and find it at the base of that elusive pine. Still makes me sick. They sell for $300+ on ebay now. I still can't talk about the calls, too emotional!

These new calls look awesome!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Good looking bunch of calls, Andy makes some good ones.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gobblerstopper

Doc, glad that you like the new call and hope you make a lot of memories in the spring woods using it.

handcannon