OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If only one call, who’s the maker, what type call, what woods/or material?

Started by TJ3152, October 02, 2023, 08:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ3152

If you could only carry one call, who's the maker, what type of call is it, what wood or materials is it made of? Thanks in advance for your responses! I really enjoy all the valuable information and entertainment everyone provides on this forum!

Tom007

I would carry a African Blackwood Push-pin by Shannon. It pretty much produces all the calls I use in the field. The purrs and clucks have lured in some fine gobblers over the years. I'll never hunt without one....be safe....
"Solo hunter"

btodd00

would be tough for me to pick one out of these 2 but I think either one would suit me well   

ghost cut diaphragm. Not picky on the maker, they all work pretty well for me

Scotts custom turkey calls purple slate trough call, mine happens to be blue mahoe but all of his sound good. I haven't had it long but it jumped the list fast for me once I started using it this past spring

Yoder409

One ????   

Does someone have a gun to my head for this ???    :TooFunny:

Sheesh !!!   Ummmm....... OK.

A Gooserbat diaphragm.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

caneman

One of my own pot calls, I have a redwood burl withe titanium on one side and red slate on the back and it has really come through time and time for me.

Brinkcalls

I love my walnut call. It is just so classy looking and has great acoustics/harmonics.

For straight up sound. My Purple Heart is a monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ferocious calls

Greg Massey

Air type caller .... IN a Tone Wood ....African Blackwood, Ironwood etc...

packmule

I've sampled a lot of box calls over the years, I couldn't narrow it down to one from the list below. I'd be very happy to only hunt any one of them as the only call I hunt, but I couldn't identify one as being better than the other.  All are top shelf.

Steve Mann, paddle call, eastern red cedar over poplar.
Dan Wittenberg, paddle call, eastern red cedar over butternut.
SS Calls, handled short box, bloodwood over limba.....my son and I each have one of these and both are killers.
TJ Johnson, long box, bloodwood over butternut.

callmakerman

It would be either my cedar double slates or one of my scratch boxes.

Guskie

A sadler mcgraw mouth call with a buster glass call in close second

mspaci

PALongspur

After the killing spree that it was a part of this spring I would probably have to go with my Permar 1930 trumpet.

A close second would be a Parks longbox.

Bringintheh2o

Richard Shively Super Yelper Scratchbox. Cherry scratcher did the damage this year.