News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Curious

Started by eaglea1, February 29, 2012, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Quote from: M Sharpe on March 03, 2012, 07:40:57 AM
A true Jordan is suppose to be a 3 piece call made from cane and wingbones. Either the mouthpiece and middle section being bone and the bell cane...or....wingbone mouthpiece and the other two sections cane.

As for the baffling, I perfer to do my own baffling. Manipulating the air with my middle finger. I've always suspected the baffles where to keep others from looking inside the trumpet. When you look through one, you should see a perfectly round hole on the end. When one is baffled by having something stuck in the end, it would seem to me that you then have a call that the callmaker has pre-determined the volume at which you can call.
I agree with the Jordan style comment but I do not agree with the baffling comment whole heartedly, every call maker has a privacy issue with their calls, that is a given, as far as covering the end so noone can see inside, I am certain that would not always be the case when it comes to baffling a trumpet from the bell end. Some have removable baffles, some don't, I really could care less if anyone looked inside my calls, after winning several competitions, it would be an honor to have someone investigate the call, and perhaps, help them to make their own. Seeing a perfectly round hole in the end of a call, would be nice, but I have seen many a great sounding trumpet made that was off internally to some degree, arguments over internals being tapered smooth verses stepped drilled, have existed as long as the trumpet, I am sure if you were to examine the "OLD MASTERS" you would see differences beyond your wildest dreams, but in the end, they all worked and worked well enough to justify their continuation over a period of a hundred or more years. So, I guess in the end, it is the call makers choice to baffle a call of leave it off, the buyers choice to choose one with or without a baffle....does it make a difference? It depends on who you ask....me, it doesn't....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206