turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Found some turkeys!!

Started by yemtig, April 08, 2013, 10:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yemtig

Ok, I've spent some time looking around for turkeys in the unit I'm hunting in and found some yesterday just driving the roads in a draw that leads out to a large field with a stream (snow runoff) in it....  Found about 12 or so in a group and I'm pretty sure there was a tom in the group....  I found these bad boys about 10 mins before official sunset time....

Since I'm a new turkey hunter, I have a few questions....

1).  Are turkeys a creature of habit and do they pretty much stay in a certain area and cover the same ground/routes day after day?? 

2).  Can I assume that they roosted somewhere fairly close since this was so close to sunset??

3).  What is their range daily and how often/far can they move??  I would assume since the season here in NM opens on the 10th, these would be fairly unpressured if I can get to them in the first week or so....  I am hunting a huge mountainous unit and found these turkeys at around 8400 elevation...

4).  I have a glass, slate, and box call and have been practicing daily for over 2 months and feel confident with my clucks, purrs, cuts, and yelping...  How should I setup first thing in the am for these birds and how would you go about to call a tom in?? 

I was thinking that I would setup near the open meadow, but just inside the timber and go from there...   I have a few decoys (jake and hen) so don't know if I really need to bust them out first thing in the am but if I don't get any takers in the am, maybe set them up around 9:30 or so once the hens are done with the toms and maybe I can catch one that comes in hot and bothered...  During the evening as I approach sunset, I figured I would set up right where I saw the birds and hope for an ambush.... 

Really looking forward to this hunt and hope to get some elk scouting done in this area for a possible elk tag this year...  Anyone with any advice??

870FaceLift

Quote from: yemtig on April 08, 2013, 10:40:58 PM
Ok, I've spent some time looking around for turkeys in the unit I'm hunting in and found some yesterday just driving the roads in a draw that leads out to a large field with a stream (snow runoff) in it....  Found about 12 or so in a group and I'm pretty sure there was a tom in the group....  I found these bad boys about 10 mins before official sunset time....

Since I'm a new turkey hunter, I have a few questions....

1).  Are turkeys a creature of habit and do they pretty much stay in a certain area and cover the same ground/routes day after day??  For the most part.  However, a tom can be like a buck in rut.  Only they know what they are going to do and a lot can alter their plans (i.e. pressure, weather, food, hens, etc.)

2).  Can I assume that they roosted somewhere fairly close since this was so close to sunset?? If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on it.  Only way to know for a fact would be to roost them by watching them or hitting a locator call at sunset or right before sunrise while they're on the limb.

3).  What is their range daily and how often/far can they move??  I would assume since the season here in NM opens on the 10th, these would be fairly unpressured if I can get to them in the first week or so....  I am hunting a huge mountainous unit and found these turkeys at around 8400 elevation...  I'll revert to my answer in #1.  They can be patterned, but it can easily be altered.  Turkeys can travel miles in a day, especially when the terrain easily allows it.

4).  I have a glass, slate, and box call and have been practicing daily for over 2 months and feel confident with my clucks, purrs, cuts, and yelping...  How should I setup first thing in the am for these birds and how would you go about to call a tom in??  If you know where they are roosting, I'd wait for him to make the first move.  Maybe start out with some soft clucks and purrs just to let him know that you are there.  If he gobbles, do not call again.  It will be hard not too, but if you keep calling to his gobbles, he will likely be intercepted by a real hen on his way to you.  It is hard to tell you exactly what I would do just because I do not know the terrain or birds that you are hunting.  Good luck, though, and have some fun!

I was thinking that I would setup near the open meadow, but just inside the timber and go from there...   I have a few decoys (jake and hen) so don't know if I really need to bust them out first thing in the am but if I don't get any takers in the am, maybe set them up around 9:30 or so once the hens are done with the toms and maybe I can catch one that comes in hot and bothered...  During the evening as I approach sunset, I figured I would set up right where I saw the birds and hope for an ambush.... 

Really looking forward to this hunt and hope to get some elk scouting done in this area for a possible elk tag this year...  Anyone with any advice??
Pass it on...

Lensbenz

My experience is that they come by the same route twice a day. They come strutting in my yard from the same direction every morning about 7-7:30. The leave by a regular route. They come back and hang out in my 100 yr old oak trees in the evening. I hear them coming long before they get there.
Fish and game calls them resident. One is going to be dinner in a couple of days. Best if you can watch for them a few days to get their rhythm. Good luck