Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What mouth call is best for purring and what is best for yelping and cutting

Started by turkeybilly, March 28, 2013, 12:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybilly

I like a light double reed call to purr on and I use a four reed v call to call like a excited hen.   Sounding very realistic is important to me.

TurkeyTom

I used to sell the H.S. Strut brand when I worked for a distributor. 

I really liked the H.S., Split V Three call for purring and the Cuttin' 2.5 for plain old cutting and yelping.

I don't know if they still make them...... I might need to buy a few in a couple of years. I'm almost out of the samples I had when I got done. 

PALongspur

GobbleNut

There is really no correct answer to this question because everybody's calling mechanics are a little different.  It's kind of like hand writing,...each individual is unique.  However, I have found that three-reed calls with .003 latex with a mid-depth split-V cut in the long reed seem to consistently work the best for me personally.  This call also is generally good for raspy yelping and good, crisp clucking and cutting. 

Turkey Beard

I know that this is very self-serving but I'm going to throw it in anyway. I'm a pro-staffer for 1UP Game Calls and consider myself at least adequate on most any call I've tried. I put in one of the 1UP 3 Gumodies premium calls and, once I got it broken in, it was the easiest call to purr on that I've ever had in my mouth. It's certainly worth a try!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

TurkeyTom

Quote from: Turkey Beard on March 28, 2013, 06:24:29 PM
I know that this is very self-serving but I'm going to throw it in anyway. I'm a pro-staffer for 1UP Game Calls and consider myself at least adequate on most any call I've tried. I put in one of the 1UP 3 Gumodies premium calls and, once I got it broken in, it was the easiest call to purr on that I've ever had in my mouth. It's certainly worth a try!
Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen them before. They look good. I'm going to have to replace my H.S. Calls soon and I prefer to use a triple with v's.

KYFrid

Give Lyle a shout at Houndstooth game calls. His mouth calls are super easy to run and purr and cluck on. He just hooked me up with the Tomb Bomb pack and all three of those calls sound awsome!  :funnyturkey:

Gooserbat

Dude this question will get 30 replies and 29 different answers.  Personally I like a 3 reed with a V or combo cut of some sort.  My go to call is my Gooserbat Hillbilly.  I use it for everything except kee kees' 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

AUDoubleBeard

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 29, 2013, 02:40:03 PM
Dude this question will get 30 replies and 29 different answers.  Personally I like a 3 reed with a V or combo cut of some sort.  My go to call is my Gooserbat Hillbilly.  I use it for everything except kee kees' 
No joke!

jakebird

Quote from: WVFrid on March 29, 2013, 11:04:26 AM
Give Lyle a shout at Houndstooth game calls. His mouth calls are super easy to run and purr and cluck on. He just hooked me up with the Tomb Bomb pack and all three of those calls sound awsome!  :funnyturkey:
Just bought a houndstooth tom bomb the other day and it sounds great !
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

turkeybilly

I was jsut wondering what everybody used the best call ever is Ozark Ridge Pro ll sweet to purr on and the Pro V to call like a excited hen.  ozarkridgecalls.com

Turkey Beard

Thanks for the interest, TurkeyTom... tell Chuck that Eric (Turkey Beard) sent you!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Balla1982

I believe on of the easiest calls to start with is the Primos Piggybacks. I know I'm generalizing instead of staying on track with the question asked, but I have recommended these to several beginners and it worked great, but I do suggest trying several different ones before settling.

TurkeyTom

Quote from: Turkey Beard on April 03, 2013, 10:40:51 PM
Thanks for the interest, TurkeyTom... tell Chuck that Eric (Turkey Beard) sent you!

Thank you Chuck.... I just checked my supply and I couldn't believe it.  I still have four new Cuttin 2.5's and two new Split V Three's left in my bag son I am OK for now..... as long as my son doesn't come for a visit and pull a raid on me.  :o