turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best slate

Started by Bottomland, April 05, 2024, 07:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye1958

Several people say the get an older Halloran call but I have a newer one and can't imagine an older one sounding any better.

Chris

ColemantownHC

Quote from: hawkeye1958 on May 03, 2024, 08:05:49 AMSeveral people say the get an older Halloran call but I have a newer one and can't imagine an older one sounding any better.

Chris

I feel like most all cases of the whole "old vs new" call thing is the same as the "shoulda been here yesterday" fishing thing. I bet if David cranked out some new pots with his old burned rectangle stamp logo, nobody would be able to tell a difference lol.
I will say that ive encountered one glaring "older is better" in pot calls and that was the Primos Power Crystal. The strutting turkey logo power crystals vs the feather logo power crystals were significantly different. I have two of the strutting logos and have played countless feather logo's that aren't even close.
There are of course cases where old vs new does mean something; like when a company is bought out and manufacturing is relocated and done by others, etc. But I feel like callmakers who have been in the game for a long time like Halloran and Cody are making calls just as good today as they were 20 yrs ago.

Loyalist84

I personally love my Nathan Taylor slates, but he makes calls that sound 'turkey' to me - I've listened to calls from very well regarded makers that have the wrong pitch for the turkeys I'm around, so soundfiles and surface (black/grey, red, green or purple slates) are important to get an ear for. For my 2 cents though, a cedar pot with a grey slate in it sounds like a turkey no matter who makes it.

Rtr1987

Jimmy Schaffer slate over slate in a walnut pot would be my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I think slate is the one surface that most callmakers can make a fine one. A turkeys voice just seems to live in that rock. I had a piece of slate I picked up out of a creek in SC sitting on the porch outside this morning and just for chuckles me and the wife conditioned it and played it. Bet you could kill one with it. But with all that said, if I can only have one I'm going with my Buster Halford green slate in a persimmon pot. It's just flat full of feathers.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: ColemantownHC on May 02, 2024, 02:50:55 PMDavid Halloran Calls are a staple and so easy to get your hands on. No forum, facebook or instagram DM's, phone number searches, answering services etc; jump on the site, add it your cart and pay up. You'll have it in a few days. More callmakers should establish a website where a buyer can cart and purchase their basic call offerings. I understand the need for contact and correspondence to purchase custom and high end calls, but every callmaker has their basic most popular call that they make more of than any other.
It's a production call. That's why it's always available. And that's not knocking it. He makes great calls. I've got a Metal Mouth that rarely leaves my vest. But no custom callmakers are producing anything at that rate. Best you can hope for would be something like SS making 15-20 short boxes and throwing them all up on the site at once, them selling out overnight.

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 04, 2024, 08:51:19 PMI think slate is the one surface that most callmakers can make a fine one. A turkeys voice just seems to live in that rock. I had a piece of slate I picked up out of a creek in SC sitting on the porch outside this morning and just for chuckles me and the wife conditioned it and played it. Bet you could kill one with it. But with all that said, if I can only have one I'm going with my Buster Halford green slate in a persimmon pot. It's just flat full of feathers.

Glad your back on Dave!

"Solo hunter"

prkguy

I just purchased a Houndstooth slate call.  It sounds pretty good to my ears.  In the short time I have been able to try it out it seems pretty easy to run very similar to my Cody Woodsman and the price was quite reasonable. I ordered it on Monday and the mailman dropped it off yesterday.  I had also ordered a Halloran Crystal Mistress on Monday which also arrived yesterday.  I have left phone messages with a couple of custom call makers to try and purchase a call(s). Pardon my ignorance on this but is it best to try and communicate with them via facebook messages or keep trying the phone?  I don't have a facebook account but I can create one if needed.  Thanks and happy hunting all!  Mike

sbbow

Quote from: prkguy on May 05, 2024, 10:00:44 AMI just purchased a Houndstooth slate call.  It sounds pretty good to my ears.  In the short time I have been able to try it out it seems pretty easy to run very similar to my Cody Woodsman and the price was quite reasonable. I ordered it on Monday and the mailman dropped it off yesterday.  I had also ordered a Halloran Crystal Mistress on Monday which also arrived yesterday.  I have left phone messages with a couple of custom call makers to try and purchase a call(s). Pardon my ignorance on this but is it best to try and communicate with them via facebook messages or keep trying the phone?  I don't have a facebook account but I can create one if needed.  Thanks and happy hunting all!  Mike
I think it's good either way but keep in mind that some of them still have a season open so it may take some time as most stop making calls  while there season is still open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

prkguy

Or I could just plan on attending next years UNICOI. Is that conference held in Helen, Georgia every year?