News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ohio proposing new bag limit

Started by eggshell, March 29, 2021, 08:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlam51

Quote from: obro on March 29, 2021, 12:26:47 PM
I think we should just go one bird and no fall hunt . If you want to get the numbers back then do what needs to be done and don't make the appearance that you are .
Agreed

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

old3toe

I'd love to see Kentucky do this. It would help birds and hunters.

AndyH

I think we should just go one bird and no fall hunt . If you want to get the numbers back then do what needs to be done and don't make the appearance that you are .
Agreed! Been saying this same thing for several years now! Ohio's population has been declining for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perrytrails

X4 do something that will make a difference. Those extra birds on private land will help repopulate state land.

I'm glad they are making a attempt, but don't punish the guy that only has public land to hunt. Non resident hunters 1 bird per year.

owlhoot

Quote from: perrytrails on March 29, 2021, 04:13:25 PM
X4 do something that will make a difference. Those extra birds on private land will help repopulate state land.

I'm glad they are making a attempt, but don't punish the guy that only has public land to hunt. Non resident hunters 1 bird per year.
This is something, limit public guys to one bird . Open on the weekend. Leave fall season going to shoot egg layer hens.
Should be no fall hunt for turkeys. At least no hens period. And no way open on the weekend.
Don't see the point.

Kylongspur88

I'm all for helping bird numbers but this seems unfair to people who don't have any private land to hunt. Why should they be limited just because they either aren't lucky
enough to have private land or are unable to pay for it. Will their license cost half as much? A later season start on a weekday and liberal trapping seasons will do more for increasing bird numbers than screwing the public land guys out of a bird

owlhoot

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 29, 2021, 08:44:39 PM
I'm all for helping bird numbers but this seems unfair to people who don't have any private land to hunt. Why should they be limited just because they either aren't lucky
enough to have private land or are unable to pay for it. Will their license cost half as much? A later season start on a weekday and liberal trapping seasons will do more for increasing bird numbers than screwing the public land guys out of a bird
Agree . Trapping don't work for them. Economically speaking. No funding in it for them.

darron

I'd say a large % of turkeys killed in fall are killed by bow hunters. Very few people target turkeys exclusively in fall. I think they should say gun only and reduce the season length. This will save birds. Would here to see them close it.

old3toe

I understand what you guys are saying about punishing the guys that hunt only public land but I'm also one of those guys that has only hunted public for years. And more than likely my son will be too! I'll gladly give up one tag to help maintain, steady, and increase the future population of the wild turkey. Especially considering it might be one of the things to assure my young one as well as others that aren't fortunate enough to have private land to hunt down the road will have a healthy population to hunt. I like to hunt and kill them as much as the next guy but I feel like a lot of guys are getting kinda greedy as far as that goes. There is a lot of other ways to enjoy the rest of the season too like taking beginners and calling for friends and family. It's not always about the number of kills and beards you can get. Also the fall harvest numbers are so low already eliminating the fall season where mostly hens are taken anyway isn't going to boost anything. The hens by far out number the gobblers in most areas. Ever notice in the agricultural areas in the fall how there will be groups of 50-100 or more hens and only small groups of gobblers, 8-10 birds or less? Those large hen numbers are making the gobblers old and young compete for food and cover just like to many does will do in a deer herd. I just feel like the tag numbers should be cut in a lot of states to make a difference. But to be honest I think it'd be best to cut the bag limit to 1 bird across the state in kentucky for a while.

NCL

Does anyone know the reason for allowing two birds on private land and only one on public land? Is  the regulation in place because the number of birds killed/hunted can be more closely controlled on private land? Just curious as to the reason for this distinction in the regulation.

BigSlam51

Quote from: NCL on March 30, 2021, 08:24:18 AM
Does anyone know the reason for allowing two birds on private land and only one on public land? Is  the regulation in place because the number of birds killed/hunted can be more closely controlled on private land? Just curious as to the reason for this distinction in the regulation.
I would say that would be the reason

the Ward

Probably for farmers with crop damage complaints , and to help outfitters/ guides leasing land to keep oos licence sales money coming in. That's just a cynical guess though.

eggshell

I never saw any explanation in the announcement. This is only a proposed change right now. If possible you should attend one of the public hearings on new regulations. I hunt almost all private land and I can't tell you why it would matter, except most private land sees way less hunting pressure and probably less harvest in relation to the flocks. It's a good question. I pretty much control the private land I hunt and I impose a property limit on the farms. If I can help  it I never allow more than 1/3 of the gobblers I have heard to be harvested, when that number is hit I shut it off for what I can control. Neighbors and trespassers will still get a couple. Nost years we never hit the 1/3 mark. It's telling because these properties are some of the best in my area for holding birds. I get some local hunters calling my family and me Arseholes  for restricting the hunting, but we have had a forest management plan on this property for 100 years and it shows. Overall, my experience is there has been far less daily pressure on private land. Most land owners only allow a couple guys to hunt. The birds on private are far less harassed, in my opinion.

I enjoy killing  two gobblers, but for years we could only kill one and it was just fine. That's what we expected from season and that is what we were happy with. I would be ok with just one again.

I really enjoy fall hunting and I honestly don't think it has a serious impact. I agree withold3toe there are plenty of hens. If you look at fall harvest reports, the kill is pretty close to 50/50 hens and males. The heavier data point is they are mostly young of year birds. My buddy and I almost never shoot YOY birds. We intentionally target older birds. Like I said before the fall harvest in Ohio is roughly 10% of the total kill. I would be for a reduction in the fall season from 6 weeks to one or two, that would eliminate a lot of opportunity bow kills.

I am also ok with limiting nonresidents to one tag in the spring and no fall tags.

I am happy someone is recognizing some changes may be in order. I just hope they apply the science and not just yield to social pressure.

NCL

Quote from: BigSlam51 on March 30, 2021, 08:38:12 AM

Thank you, It just seems odd that they would go to all the trouble to write a separate regulation.

BigSlam51

Quote from: NCL on March 30, 2021, 08:48:49 AM
Quote from: BigSlam51 on March 30, 2021, 08:38:12 AM

Thank you, It just seems odd that they would go to all the trouble to write a separate regulation.
I would like to see the whole state go to one gobbler a year, no hens. That would really make a difference.