OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Quote from: Trax on February 09, 2018, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 24, 2018, 09:00:31 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on January 24, 2018, 08:47:00 PM
Missouri has a shot size of no larger than number 2 shot. lead was mainly used at  the time this came in effect. The regulations were for safety in the turkey woods and was said to cause fatalities  . I would wonder what size tss would have the same energy?
I'm just guessing 7.5 would be close to 2 shot in Tss

Can I get #2 TSS?
What would be my range then?

With only 54 pellets in an oz, maybe 20 yards.  :fud:

owlhoot

Quote from: Gobble! on February 09, 2018, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: Trax on February 09, 2018, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 24, 2018, 09:00:31 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on January 24, 2018, 08:47:00 PM
Missouri has a shot size of no larger than number 2 shot. lead was mainly used at  the time this came in effect. The regulations were for safety in the turkey woods and was said to cause fatalities  . I would wonder what size tss would have the same energy?
I'm just guessing 7.5 would be close to 2 shot in Tss

Can I get #2 TSS?

What would be my range then?

With only 54 pellets in an oz, maybe 20 yards.  :fud:

That would be slightly less shot then gobble's 900 or so 9's !
Now in grizzly country them 2's might come in handy  ;D

Gobble!

Quote from: owlhoot on February 09, 2018, 01:52:40 PM

That would be slightly less shot then gobble's 900 or so 9's !
Now in grizzly country them 2's might come in handy  ;D

Those #9s would light up a grizzly! Out of those 900 pellets ones bound to land in each eye  :smiley-char092:

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on January 16, 2018, 08:05:39 AM
Calling them close has nothing do with the ammo one shoots, but the self control to not pull the trigger until the appropriate time, lots of hope shots with lead and other types of shot that should have never been taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This^^^^^^^
Couldn't have said it better!

Dtrkyman

Switched last year...sold an expensive 12 I never used and bought a new 20 some shot and loaded my own, all funded from selling the 12.

I switched to it mainly to carry a lighter  gun and so I knew I had consistency in my shells...killed 7 birds last year and the longest shot was 35 yards. Never even patterned past 40 but it will outshoot my 12 at 40 all day and is 2lbs lighter.

762hunter

I ordered some Apex for my 20ga
While ordering I thought what the heck, if it's the cats meow on the smaller gauges then what would it do in the 12?

I was able to get out and pop off a couple test rounds this week.
Ranged at 40 yards the 12 had 312 hits in a 10 and my 20 had 187

cutt down

Quote from: 762hunter on February 11, 2018, 09:19:13 AM
While ordering I thought what the heck, if it's the cats meow on the smaller gauges then what would it do in the 12?

I got 180's with federal hw7 out of my 20. What choke are you shooting? I get 280 in the 10 with my handloads with a Carlson 575

762hunter

Sumtoy
Believe it's a 562-5

I was shooting the Fed HE #7, it wasn't much less from what I remember counting in years past

TauntoHawk

What size shot for the 20

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bbcoach

What size shot and load are you shooting in the 12.  I can get over 300 with 2 1/4 oz Hevi 7's with my 835.  With 9's it should be a lot higher.  You will have more energy with the TSS but at 40 or less, mine will be just as dead.

762hunter

On the 20 I was shooting 3" #8

On the 12 I was shooting 3 1/2 #8

BB sounds like you are getting a better pattern out of your 835 with the Fed HW

bbcoach

Hevi-13 7's, pattern extremely well with several chokes out of most Mossy 835 and 935's. 

dzsmith

I bought several boxes of apex 9s. I don't plan on hunting with them this year, but Id like to experiment with them during the summer. I may make a swap in the future...maybe. Or ill just sell them next time season roles around and they are sold out everywhere again. Ive been shooting lbxr 6s with a sumtoy choke out of my 12 guage since the first year they hit the shelf. My gun has an excellent pattern with them, very excellent. For what I consider sportsman like.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

kjnengr

Now that season is over for me, I am thinking about getting the equipment and materials to make the switch to tss. 

I see the wonderful patterns that everyone posts at 40 yards but how does it pattern at closer yardages? 

What does it look like at 20 yards?  What's the general consensus about blends of 7.5's and 9's or 8's and 9's as compared to straight 9's?

At close ranges, how does it compare to the Hevi-13 7's I'm currently shooting?

wchadw

i bought 2 boxes of Federal TSS #9s at the beginning of the season and i killed 3 turkeys with 3 shots and shot one as a pattern.  I plan on using them until at least i am out of them.

Seems expensive (TSS were roughly $7 each) compared to the Longbeards (i pay roughly $1 a shell) but I don't shoot a whole lot of shells.  I was impressed with the 40 yard pattern compared to the pattern of the Longbeard at the exact same distance with same choke tube so I may stick with them.  Hopefully the price will drop on the Federals if there is more competition in the market for them.

i posted the patterning Longbeard VS TSS on this site
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,82761.0.html