Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Who is this "God" anyway ~ Part 2 ~ Devotion 8/1/12

Started by lightsoutcalls, August 01, 2012, 10:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Today let's take a look at another name for God found in the Bible - Jehovah Nissi - The Lord is our Banner.  The name originated when God helped Moses defeat the Amalakites in Exodus 17.  As long as Moses kept his staff raised in his hands, the Israelites soundly defeated the Amalakites.  As his arms tired and began to lower, the battle began to change.  Two of Moses closest companions came to his aid and held his arms upright, and the battle was a route for the Israelites.  Afterwards, Moses built an alter and called it Jehovah Nissi - The Lord is our Banner.
   O.k. that was a long time ago.  Can you give a more practical application? What's the significance of a "banner"?   I'm glad you asked.

What comes to mind when you watch this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmOMMv5pBdU   

If you clicked on the link, you might have a little clearer understanding.  In case you can't open youtube, try this:

I think we've all seen that photo.  What are some of the thoughts or emotions that come to mind?  Respect for the sacrifices made?  Anger at how freedoms have been taken for granted?  Frustration towards those who have no respect?

In battle, a banner, or flag generally went before the troops.  It is always elevated.  Anyone seen the movie "The Patriot"? 

The flag always led the charge.  It served as an inspiration to those who rallied behind its values, it was symbolic of the hearts of those who followed it.  The men (and women) who identified completely with the flag were ready to give up everything... houses, lands, family, even their own lives for the values associated with that flag - that banner.  You see where I'm going, don't you?
   As Christians, we have a banner that was raised...

Isaiah prophesied of this banner:

Isaiah 11:10

New Living Translation (NLT)

10 In that day the heir to David's throne
    will be a banner of salvation to all the world.
The nations will rally to him,
    and the land where he lives will be a glorious place.

For those who choose to rally behind the cross of Christ, just as those who have rallied in battle behind the stars and stripes, there is no guarantee of smooth sailing.  Just as many men and women have suffered for our patriotic freedoms, there is and will be suffering for those who are called under the Banner of Christ. 
   Are we as "patriotic" about the Banner lifted up on the cross as we are about the red, white and blue?  Do we become as indignant when people figuratively and morally trample the cross as we do when someone wants to burn a flag or even lets it touch the ground? 
   It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that some of the liberties bought with American blood are being eroded, stripped away by elected officials who don't seem to grasp the same definition of patriotism as those who have fought, bled and died under the stars and stripes.
   Some of these same folks are trying to limit the blood bought freedoms under our other Banner.  Will we become tired, lower our arms and watch as the course of battle goes against us?  Will we stand with those lifting the Banner and hold their arms up? 
   For the sake of clarity- If we stand behind the Banner of Christ, does that make us "better" than those who don't?  NO!  It means we have the responsibility to invite others to stand with us.  It means we have the responsibility to share with others the blessings and benefits of a life lived "under the influence" of the cross of Christ, a life submitted to Christ.  But what if they don't want to live for Christ?  What if they mock or demean Christianity or me for being a Christian?  It will happen.  When it does, you have the responsibility to pray for them, and to release them to the will and influence of God through His Holy Spirit. 

Jehovah Nissi - The Lord is our Banner

The Banner has been lifted.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Duke0002

snoodlum

Thank you for the message! This will give it even more meaning when I raise my hands toward heaven in worship of Him who is worthy.

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

turkey slayer