turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

She’ll length discrepancy

Started by Jim K, February 01, 2019, 06:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim K

I'm working on choke,shell combo for a new shotgun. I bought a 20 gauge Franchi  Affinity recently. Shooting federal tss loads the shell ejects but the second shell drops down in the receiver but doesn't slam up into the chamber.

Third degrees cycle fine. Also, I shot a 50 round sporting clay shoot with low brass shells. No problems. I took it pheasant hunting last week and shot regular field loads. No problems.

I just got some apex loads. Shot them today. No problems.

The interesting thing is, the 3" shells are all different lengths. The federal measures 2 3/4", 3rd degree 2 5/8" and apex 2 9/16.

I'm convinced the federal tss loads are too long for my gun. I've been emailing with them. They want the 2 shells I have left returned to them to see if they are in specs.

You would think there wouldn't be such big differences in shell lengths.

Thoughts??

Spurs Up

That's a pretty common issue with roll crimped 3" shells in a Franchi 20 ga and also with their cousins (e.g., M-2). A workaround—not my preference—is to chamber a full length 3" roll crimped round and back it up with it up with star crimped 3" shells or a 2-3/4" shell.

I'll shoot the 3" roll crimped shells in other actions, but hand load a shorter shell for my Franchi. I think Apex commercially makes a 2-3/4" TSS shell if handloading isn't your thing.