turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Concealing yourself

Started by ilhunter997, April 07, 2013, 05:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilhunter997

Well I'm a new turkey hunter and today I got to 100 yards from a roost of a large group. They all flew down into my field and the hens were first. I was leaning against the side of a tree. And my dad was calling behond me aitting in front of a brushpile.She got right out in front of us at 5 yards. She saw something she didn't like and took the whole group with her. We didn't move so she had to have just saw our shapes. What do u do to conceal yourself besides a blind?

30_06

Generally a large tree behind me, but have been known to use tall grass or thorn bushes or dead falls as well. Most anything to break up your outline works well for me.

remmy1187

FL-Boss

yep.. leaf suit. Walmart has a mossy oak one for $50.00 - cant beat the price.

30_06

......yeah forgot to mention I use a ASAT leafy suit as well.

tomstopper

Trees, brush, grass, prone position etc. Basically whatever I can but I have also been where little cover is available and I just rely on my camo and stillness to get the job done. That being said I mostly rely on being motionless b/c I just use whatever camo is clean that day (mix & match).....

redleg06

At five yards with 2 guys, in fairly open terrain like a field,  when they get that close they are sometimes going to see you regardless.  They may not know exactly what you are but they may act a little funny still.

Having said that, I got one of the leafy looking jackets that I wear and I think it helps more than just a regular camo shirt and it's as breathable as it gets so you stay cooler when the weather warms up.

Gooserbat

A good something big at your back to break up your outline, set still, and some sort of camo that matches the terrain.  I also think a leafy suit or for sure a jacket with a hood helps. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Duke0002

Some times they just don't like the looks of a situation. Maybe it wasn't you at all.  Perhaps your calling attracted a fox or another predator that you didn't see.  Once I was laying flat on my belly, a jake walked up 6 or 8 feet from me, looked me in the face, turned and putted away!   Now I don't look like a movie star, but I'm not that ugly!

eddie234

I have one of the leafy jackets. Got it at bass pro when I was in myrtle beach.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2