OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts from a Shut-in

Started by shaman, January 10, 2015, 08:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

A year ago at this time, I was going through some serious soul searching.  I'd had a disappointing season in 2013. The turkeys were just not there.  They weren't showing themselves in the pastures. They weren't sounding off in the mornings.  I was getting worried, and I was asking folks for their thoughts over on the Turkey and Turkey Hunting Forum. 

I got a lot of advice.  Most of it was good and well-meaning. I'm going back now and re-reading that thread, and reconsidering the advice.  I didn't shoot a bird in 2014 either, but it had nothing to do with the birds not cooperating.  I helped my son get his bird on the Opener, and then I had one missed opportunity after another. In one instance, I had a gobbler mounting a hen less than 10 feet from me, but there was a bush in the way. In another I  had a silent gobbler come up on  my blind side and he caught me scratching my nose.  I had fun. I'm not complaining.

What I wanted to do with y'all is re-examine some of that advice.  I'd like to hear your comments.

The first one is obvious:  shaman, you need to get out more.  Yes, I do hunt just my 200 acre patch. I've not hunted anywhere else in 13 years.  I'm a bit if a shut-in, but that is a big part of the challenge for me.  If someone wanted to invite me to a late-season hunt in Ohio I'd go, but  I'm quite happy where I am. This isn't about how many carcasses I have in the freezer.

#2:  Somebody suggested I try gobbling as a way to bring in recalcitrant gobs.  I hadn't gobbled in 20 years.  It was mostly due to my early experiences in Ohio-- very crowded and I got hunted a couple of times.   However, when I'm sitting in the middle of my own 200 acres, what's the harm, right?  I ordered a gobble shaker from Primos and gave it a try on:

the Yute Hunt 2014 

Fun story, but no it didn't work. Read it. You'll love it.  My old Quaker Boy box produces a fair-sounding gobble, so I tried that a few times over the season.  I can't say it hurt anything, but no. It didn't help.

#3:  I opined to my T&TH friends that, having hunted the same 200 acres over 12 seasons, I had come to the conclusion that there were only about 2-3 days out of the year where a population of turkeys is actually huntable using conventional methods.  On those days, nearly any call will bring a positive outcome. The condition is extremely localized. That is, one farm may be hot while another isn't.  But given a particular piece of land, the rest of the time, you could be in the house drinking coffee and have as good results.  Most folks don't see it  that way, because they see lousy action and move somewhere else. For a guy who just hunts his own 200 acres it can be  painfully obvious.   I've been told by my peers that I'm nuts, or that I'm incompetent.  However, these are people who hunt several states and the first to pick up and relocate at the first sign of recalcitrance.  One fellow berated me for not being sensible and then concluded: "I go out in the morning and take the gobblers' temperature, and if they ain't fit, I go home." 

It kind of all goes back to the first piece of advice: shaman, you need to get out more. However, my pro-staff compatriot from Wisconsin coughed up an interesting idea.  He agreed with me, and said that it was all due to dewpoint.  Those days where turkeys are crawling up your legs are mornings where the dewpoint is slowly dropping.  I tried to keep track of the dewpoint this past season, and I cannot say I saw a correlation.  However, most days the dewpoint was rising in the morning as it nearly always does. So I guess there might be something to it. I'm interested if any of y'all agree with this.  A falling dewpoint between first light and Noon is about as rare as. . . well, maybe happens 2-3 times in a season, and it can be very localized.  Just so you know, a falling dewpoint requires falling temperature or falling humidity or both. Most days, the temperature (and dewpoint) rises with the sun.

Here is a dewpoint calculator:

http://dpcalc.org/  The trick is teaching the turkeys to use it.

I've found that WeatherUnderground has a dewpoint plot on its forecast graph.  I'm throwing this out to y'all.  Let me know if Scott at Willow Ridge Calls has a point.  If so, this would be a boon to a fellow wondering when the turkeys are going to be hot.  Wunderground gives dewpoint predictions out 10 days.

I'm going to hit the post button, and let fly.  Let me know what you think.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dirt road ninja

I go when I can, unless it's absolutely horrible weather. Never tracked the dew points as a gauge of turkey activity and probably never will. What I do know is that somedays are better than others and they don't need to be on fire to be killed. You probably know your 200 acres as well as any turkey in the neighborhood, so that's probably not your problem. The only thing I can suggest is habitat improvement. The more attractive your place is to them the more you will have. The more you have the fewer "bad" days you will experience. My experience is very limited to the piney woods of MS and Al. We have birds, but the well cared for properties have way more than the un-manicured jungles. Good luck and I hope in 2015 the birds invade your place.

shaman

That's a good read.  Truth is, the guy that had been doing my hay was not holding up his part of the bargain, and I finally had to fire him.  This year I've got a new guy who promised to put in some food plots. The other thing going in my favor this year is that the cicadas hit last spring, and that meant lost of food for lots of poults.  The woods were crawling with young turkeys this fall.  I expect to see a lot of young'uns this spring.

This dewpoint thing wouldn't keep me out of the woods, but going forward, it might help me choose one day over another.  I'm just wondering if anyone else had heard about this.  It also relates to altitude.  That is, if you're hunting mountainous terrain, dewpoint will change depending on altitude. It could be a predictor of where the turkeys are going to roost. On my place, I've got less than 200 feet of altitude difference, but there is a significant difference in humidity between the bottoms and the ridge tops.  I seldom see turkeys roost at the lowest elevation, simply because being on the ridgetops  is drier and therefore less clammy.

jwhunter

you said you are  a bit of a shut in... how many times did you go out and hunt? do not get caught up in filling your tags. this is not what turkey hunting is all about. its about the journey! get out more and enjoy life and enjoy being a tukey hunter....

shaman

Oh, I'm only calling myself a shut-in, because I only hunt one 200 acre plot.    I'm usually out every day I can.   I get out on weekends from March 1 until  mid-May, and I usually have a full week of turkey hunting at the start of KY's Spring Gobbler season in mid-April.  I still have a day job, so scouting and hunting during the week is usually out. All told, I probably have 10 days of scouting and pre-season recording (see the thread on podcasts).  Then 9 days of continuous hunting then 4 more until the end of season.  After that, I usually take a weekend or two to catch up on chores and go fishing and then we open up the family campground  for Memorial Day. 

Folks have suggested that I over-expose myself to the turkeys. Actually, until the start of season, I'm doing everything I can be invisible to them.  It's so much easier when you're just trying to get audio to remain well hidden.    After season starts, I still try to keep a low profile as well.  Run-n-Gun is out.  Funny thing is that when I have a lot of incidents where turkeys are busting me before season, those are usually the seasons where everyone fills their tags.  When we get through March with zero encounters, that's when we have trouble.

Turkey Camp is situated on a high spot on the NW corner of the place. I can go out in the morning and listen to gobblers and hens.  We have one semi-permanent flock that roosts less than 250 yards from the back door, and I frequently have gobbler tracks in the apron between the house and the sheds.