turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Plowed up?

Started by eaglea1, April 10, 2012, 12:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglea1

Just talked to the land owner last night where we go and he said that the farmer
he leases to, has the hay field plowed up so he can re-plant it with new hay. How much
do you think this will affect us,when we hunt it the last week in April? I don't know where
he is at with it as far as being planted already or just plowed.???
thanks guys

TauntoHawk

your hunting just got better in my opinion, turkeys love to get out in plowed fields and scratch around for all the overturned goodies

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

duckaholic25

Better be careful if he throws seed out it might be considered baiting.

Garrett Trentham

I would think of it as a plus. Turkeys love plowed fields, and if he broadcasts seed out, even better! As long as it falls within "normal agricultural practices" is is NOT considered baiting.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

eaglea1

Thanks guys, I don't think he even knows we are coming, so no worries on the baiting.
You guys made my day now  :thanks:

larry9988

they will be scratching their feet off. your situation just got better.

Gooserbat

Me thinks you just got a "honey hole".
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jakebird

Heck yeah, bud. Turkeys love a fresh plowed field. Tons of worms, insects, etc and the seeds only make it more attractive. Another positive is you wont have to worry about tall grass obscuring your decoys. They will see your spread a LONG  way off. Good luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

eaglea1

oooh  I'm gettin all excited all over again. Thanks for the confidence builder upper. :drool:

Dbrnmllr

This is like where I hunt.  The farmer is going to be planting corn in the back area area of the field.  I would guess it will be in right before second season here in Iowa.  The turkeys seem to always go out there and scratch up the seed corn..... Sure makes the farmer mad, he wants me to kill em' all.  Hahahaha.

eaglea1

Sounds like the first one I ever got back in '94. The farmer saw me coming out with one,
and said,"what you only got one? Shoot all them SOB's"  :agreed:

HunterMan

just got better for sure

hotrod49er

Hootowl

Get ready to go Bang, Man you are in for some great Hunting, We Hunted some land in Ky, where the Famer let the Cows in the field a few weeks before season, and with the Cow piles, the Turkey were everywhere, It was like they threw out Candy, we Killed 3 toms in 2 days, and could of shot more.