turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge single-shot project gun

Started by gobblergls, June 12, 2012, 11:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

What's the cure for looking for something to do after finishing a gun project?  Start another.  This one is sick.  I picked up from Academy Outdoors a 28" barrel .410 single shot made by Yildiz.  3 lbs, 3 oz.   makes the 20 gauge Baikal look like a club in comparision.  I'll load 13/16 oz. of TSS #9s and see how it shoots without going hog wild modifying it.  If it puts 100 in the 10", I'll mount another FFIII on it.  Might not paint it.  Wood looks pretty good for a gun that cost $129.00 tax included. 
Reports on it will be in the .410 section. See this link for updated reports and photos of patterns
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,28590.0.html

TCKev

Was The barrel chrome lined? If it was did Sumtoy remove it?
Tight Groups
Kevin

gobblergls

Kevin,

Not certain if chrome lined.  However, forcing cone removed to help with recoil.  Gil

gobblergls

Kevin, barrel is chrome lined according to a spec sheet I saw. Gil

gaswamp

Gil, welcome to the wonderful world of single barrel turkey hunting. 

gobblergls

Quote from: gaswamp on November 05, 2012, 06:40:58 PM
Gil, welcome to the wonderful world of single barrel turkey hunting.
Thanks, Joe.
It's either a coin toss or "eenie, meenie, minee, moe" choosing between the .410 or Baikal opening weekend, which btw is about 4 months away.  Last weekend I picked up the .410 from William Lambert at Sumtoy.  Trigger is sweet--light and crisp--and he great job mounting the FFIII.  He had to mill an elongated  flat triangle with base at chamber end to take out barrel taper and provide a flat spot for the Burris 336 base.   I couldn't have done the projects without Williams' advice, expertise and competent work. Thanks, again, William.  Here are the finished products:

gobblergls

An old friend and his young sons sponge-painted this little Baikal 20 yesterday.  William of Sumtoy did the metal work.  According to Bill, 150 HW 7s in the 10 ring at 40 yards.  Just in time for his boys to shoot next weekend.  Hopefully Bill will give more details in a new thread.  Great job.

gaswamp

looks great, thanks for sharing Gil

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

gobblergls

The journey making this gun was well worth the effort.  Today it earned its keep with this its first bird.
Easter Sunrise in the Wiregrass and Longleaf Pines in the Ga. Low Country.  Obligatory limb hanging by spurs photo impossible due to lowest branch on the nearest Longleaf was up 40'. 

Hayudog

Wow Gil- Thats a nice bird.  Look at those hooks.  Don't see too many birds out west with leg irons like that.  Congrats.

gobblergls

Doug, he's on a very short list of birds i've killed with spurs like that, especially on public land.   It was also the first bird killed using this box turtle slate I made this summer.  I used it in combination with a mouth call.  The mouth call sealed the deal, however.

Hayudog

The Turtle Call is pretty cool.  Good thing I don't have a box turtle shell in the garage, I'd follow your lead on building one of those too!  If you start making your own gun powder I'm giving up. 

Just looked closer at the shell- roll crimped.  Got my roll crimper in the mail last week.

gobblergls

Lil' Yildiz's first bird.  .410 13/16 oz. tungsten 9s.  Small non-agricultural 2 year-old swamp bird shot in adjacent pine flat.  Less than 10 minute hunt on public land.  He responded to wingbone and closed fast.  Finished with diaphragm.  Rig weight:  3 lbs, 9 oz. as depicted. 

gobblergls

Yes, I know this the 20 gauge page, but I started this .410 project at the completion of the 20 gauge Baikal project and combined the two in this thread.  And as the old proverb says, man who catch large fish never takes back alley home, neither does a man with a good turkey. ;)
This morning I heard the bird on the limb early and had a westerly bearing on the compass.  Bird answered my hoots and led me cross country into wet, thick swamp.  I stopped 150 yards short and knew it was pointless to call or try to set up until he flew as I didn't know where the dry land was.  He flew down, and after 5 minutes, I kept going westerly and found a park-like clean oak and pine hill rising dome-like out of the swamp about 150 yards from where I stopped.  He didn't gobble on the ground, but I took a chance and sat down just below the hill's crest so that I could see 40 yards out.  I clucked on my Lil' Duece and Perfection RaspyD mouth call.  Within about 10 minutes I heard drumming to my right and there he was about 40 yards out.  I couldn't move my gun to the right until he went behind a tree and was able to spin around the base of the pine where I sat.  I held the little gun up until he cleared the tree and let the shot fly.  He was 19 steps away.  Rig weighs 3 lbs, 9 oz.  .410 hand load is TSS 9, 13/16 oz.  This was the third 2013 Ga. bird and second with the .410.  Beard is 10.5" and spurs, 1.1".  He's a typical, gobbled-out, lightweight swamp bird on public land miles from any food plot or farm field.  Shot him a gps'd 750 meters from where I parked the truck.   This was a good way to start the work week.