turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Turkey Gun Builder?

Started by gatrapper, May 07, 2024, 10:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

I currently have an 870 Supermag as my main Turkey gun. I have taken a ton of birds with my setup, but would really like to take a step up.

I'm debating on going to a semi-auto but I dont know what one to even look at.

Additionally, I would like to find a top notch company where I would send the gun to have the choke and load setup tweaked to perfection.

What semi auto should I look into?

What company should I consider sending the gun off to?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Ihuntoldschool

870 Supermag is a fine turkey gun as you already know.  I'm not sure what you mean by "step up"

If your gun fits you well and you have confidence in it I'd stick with it.

If you're set on a semiauto the best Semi shotguns are made in Italy as far as I'm concerned.

No need for tweaking.  Any permanent modifications you make to your gun has a 50/50 chance of patterning better or worse.  You'll get more improvement by testing different chokes and loads.

gatrapper

Don't want to play the patterning game. It always seems to be a money pit when attempting to find the perfect choke/load combo.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Dazzler

Quote from: gatrapper on May 07, 2024, 12:23:15 PMDon't want to play the patterning game. It always seems to be a money pit when attempting to find the perfect choke/load combo.
I watched a meateater video the other day about the crews turkey gun setup. Spoiler alert it's red dots, sub gauges and TSS.

Anyways they had a few custom barrels, chokes for custom ammo specifically for turkey patterns.  Might start there and see if they have a recommended gunsmith for such a thing.

mdmitchell

For what it's worth, I went through the same dilemma last year. I was set on going to a 20 tho and jumping to TSS.

I landed on the Franchi affinity compact in a 20. I got the black one then sent it off to have cerakoted at Koehler gun works who does a great job mimicking popular patterns.

I then went with a sumtoy mount and a vortex venom, got a lighter trigger spring and added a trulock 575. Shooting apex 9s, it patterns perfectly. Not too tight, not too wide. I have had 0 loading issues with 3 inch shells.

The gun carries extremely light. It's only 4 oz heavier than my stevens 301 20 ga. I've killed 2 birds with it and have packed it many many miles and love it so far. 

nybowhunter

Check out Rob Robert's Custom Gun Works. They do the Benelli turkey gun work. I've had the forcing cone lengthened on a few gun barrels, porting and camo dipping done with them. Always great service.

They do patterning work too.

https://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highball

Quote from: nybowhunter on May 07, 2024, 07:46:09 PMCheck out Rob Robert's Custom Gun Works. They do the Benelli turkey gun work. I've had the forcing cone lengthened on a few gun barrels, porting and camp dipping done with them. Always great service.

They do patterning work too.

https://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/

Second this,they do excellent work.

compton30

Quote from: Dazzler on May 07, 2024, 04:01:03 PM
Quote from: gatrapper on May 07, 2024, 12:23:15 PMDon't want to play the patterning game. It always seems to be a money pit when attempting to find the perfect choke/load combo.
I watched a meateater video the other day about the crews turkey gun setup. Spoiler alert it's red dots, sub gauges and TSS.

Anyways they had a few custom barrels, chokes for custom ammo specifically for turkey patterns.  Might start there and see if they have a recommended gunsmith for such a thing.

Steve said at the beginning of the video that his Beretta had been sent off to Rob Roberts

Greg Massey

What turkey guns I have put together have all done well in killing gobblers if I do my part. Never seen the need to send a gun off etc... Nothing wrong if that's what you want to do. IMO...

nybowhunter

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 08, 2024, 11:51:57 AMWhat turkey guns I have put together have all done well in killing gobblers if I do my part. Never seen the need to send a gun off etc... Nothing wrong if that's what you want to do. IMO...
I just put together a Mossberg 940 with an aftermarket pistol grip stock that I had camo dipped and then the forcing cone lengthened by Rob Robert's.

My brother has a stock Mossberg SA-20 with no work done. We patterned our guns together last week and I would have no issues taking his gun into the woods with me.

So to your point, is it necessary? Probably not, but like you said it's whatever folks like to do. I myself always end up tinkering lol

Ranman

There are several directions that you could go with a new turkey gun. Semiauto, sxs, O/U,...
Just depends on what you want/need. There are several great options, good luck. I have a Franchi Affinity 3 20 ga. With TSS, it's a great turkey gun.

Fullfan

IT is not as difficult as you think. With TSS the sub ga guns are the way to go. No need to carry a 7-8 pound gun around.  Choose the gun you want, do some research. Find out what other guys are using and the results they are getting.  I made the switch from the 12ga 3.5 about 13 years ago. Have a hand full of 20ga autos, and everyone of them do very well. I hand load my own TSS, so shooting and patterning in not expensive.
Don't gobble at me...

SumToy

Buy the gun you like with camo or coating you like.  Put a choke and sight on it.  Spend the rest on gas to go hunt.  :z-twocents:  :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Greg Massey

Quote from: SumToy on May 09, 2024, 08:27:01 AMBuy the gun you like with camo or coating you like.  Put a choke and sight on it.  Spend the rest on gas to go hunt.  :z-twocents:  :z-twocents:

This right here ... X2