Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Are your tools rusting? ~ Devotion ~1/16/13

Started by lightsoutcalls, January 16, 2013, 10:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I must admit, when I started preparing this morning's devotion, I had a particular focus.  Interestingly, as I typed and read the verses, the Holy Spirit prompted me with some additional verses that not only shifted "my" focus, but also brought conviction.  Seems he has a way of doing that...

Most of us are probably familiar with the verses in Ephesians where Paul talks about putting on the armor of God.  Although some may be offended by not using the "king's English", I really liked the way The Message translation words these verses.  Be forewarned, there are no comparisons to individual pieces of old-world armor. 

Ephesians 6:10-18
The Message (MSG)

A Fight to the Finish

10-12 And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

13-18 Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

Here's where things took a turn...

2 Corinthians 10:3-6
The Message (MSG)

3-6 The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way—never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.

As I re-read the maroon text, somewhere in my mind I could hear that unmistakable sound of PacMan dying...

When we make that concious decision and ask Jesus to become the "Lord" of our lives, that driving force that shapes our thoughts and behaviors... we are given the "tools" that we need to engage the enemy.  We have God's word, the Bible, and we are instructed to pray for specific direction and opportunities.  How often do we leave our "tools" laying around to rust while we engage the enemy, culture, politics, conflicts on our own terms?  (I think I need a bandaid, 'cause that hurt.) 
   In that last verse of Ephesians, Paul instructed them (us):
"Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."

Check out what he said next:

Ephesians 6:19
New Living Translation (NLT)

19 And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God's mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike.

Even Paul needed God's help, daily, to be able to share with the world around him the ways of God, that sometimes don't come easy for us to share. 

Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.

Pray that we will pick up our tools and go to work.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BOFF

WOW!!!

Thanks for letting the Holy Spirit speak through your writings Wendell.

That struck my heart. I'm guilty of having rust and tarnish on several of the tools God has given me.

Thanks for the accountability.

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Thanks Wendell, I needed to see this because I'm as guilty as anyone about letting the rust build up. Thanks again for the reminder!!

Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Duke0002