OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

lids

Started by TN-Hunter, March 02, 2013, 09:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN-Hunter

I mostly make pot calls but I am trying to make a few box calls just to try my hand at it. Wondering how most of you cut your lids if their is a profile bit on a router. You buy them pre cut . use a belt sander Or an easier way that i have over looked. Amy help would be appreciated Thanks.

TRKYHTR

I used to cut a piece 3/8" thick and 10" long, 1 7/8" wide. Then take a 3" holesaw and measure a line 2 1/4" from the end. I used that line as the furthest point of my holesaw and then drilled out the handle. Then take it to the belt sander and start sanding and making your arc.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Oldschoolboxcalls

I don't make many calls, but make a couple here and there. I put the lid in a vise clamped at the handle end with screw end facing up.Take a block plane and start taking stock off the side and work towards center. Then clamp on other side of vise and do the same. I then go after it with a file and then sandpaper going with the grain until you get the shape and thickness you're looking for.

lightsoutcalls

It's been a few years since I made any box calls, but I used a belt sander to sand the arc of the call lid.  It's a good way to get a bad manicure.  Be careful. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

cypresscreek

I prefer to start with 3/8'' stock cut to length and width. I have a template I use to trace the arc on both ends of my stock. I use double stick carpet tape to secure a small block of wood to the top- this will prevent you from taking off fingertips and nails :o take it to the belt sander-80 grit and start sanding it to the pencil line. Hope this helps- Good Luck
Rick Ferlita
Cypress Creek Turkey Calls
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: cypresscreek on March 04, 2013, 12:31:29 PM
I use double stick carpet tape to secure a small block of wood to the top- this will prevent you from taking off fingertips and nails :o

Good tip!  I never tried that.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!